First Company is a designated section of Applied Drama in which older students mentor first-year, first-semester students who are interested in participating in theatre.
Specifically, First Company's intended goals and purposes are:
- To introduce students to the distinctive aspects of the Malone University Theatre.
- To engage students in reading and thinking about the relevance of the Christian faith to the arts (specifically theatre).
- To help students establish meaningful relationships with other first year students with peer mentors, and theatre faculty and staff.
- To provide students opportunities to demonstrate understanding of theatrical vocabulary, concepts, and processes by creating collaborative theatrical work.
- To engage students in thinking thoughtfully and critically about the spiritual nature, meaning, and cultural value of theatre.
- To assist students in assessing theatrical productions and in appreciating the differences between professional and amateur theatrical productions.
- To provide students opportunities to work backstage and to use tools and other technical elements safely.