Integrated Social Studies (BA)
Help learners in 7-12 grades learn the 'whys' and 'hows' of how culture, politics, religion, gender, race, and economics have shaped societies throughout time.
The integrated social studies major at Malone University prepares you to teach history, government, economics, and sociology. You'll choose one of three concentrations: history, political science, or sociology.
"It's a pretty proud moment when the governor thanks you..."
- Joshua Eck '11
A major in Integrated Social Studies consists of the following:
36 hours in the following core courses:
- ECON 202 - Principles of Macroeconomics
- HIST 111 - World History I: The Ancient World to 1500
- HIST 112 - World History II: The Modern World
- HIST 211 - American History I: Colonial Era to the Civil War
- HIST 212 - American History II: Gilded Age to the Present
- HIST 362 - Ohio History and Government (w)
- POL 201 - Introduction to American Government
- POL 212 - Introduction to World Politics
- POL 301 - Political Philosophy
- SOC 201 - Principles of Sociology
- SOC 340 - Sociology of Gender
- SOSC 200 - World Cultural Geography
Professional Education requirements include the following 38 hours:
- EDUC 112 - Foundations of Education
- EDUC 232 - Psychology of Human Learning
- EDUC 262 - Instructional Technology
- EDUC 312 - Principles of Secondary School Instruction
- EDUC 357 - Content Reading Strategies
- EDUC 415 - Assessment in Education
- EDUC 434 - Teaching Integrated Social Studies in the Secondary School
- EDUC 460 - Student Teaching Seminar
- EDUC 497 - Adolescent to Young Adult Student Teaching
- SPED 243 - Inclusion and the Schools
Students must choose one of the following three 18-hour concentrations:
Any 3 non-western (nw) and any 3 western (w) upper-level history courses.
Political Science Concentration:
Any 3 American and 3 international upper-level political science courses.
Any 6 upper-level sociology courses.