Music Ministry Emphasis, BA
Study theology and music as you lead a life of worship...
If it’s your calling to lead others into worship through music, this major will prepare you for a career as a church musician and worship leader.
You’ll take both theology and music courses – and you’ll have an intense practicum of observation, planning, and teaching in a church setting under the mentorship of an experienced church musician. You’ll be encouraged to be involved in one of Malone’s many performance groups, and will participate in frequent recitals.
"My music explores...the redemptive intervention of a very real God in the affairs of the human race."
- Jesse Ayers Professor of Music
The following requirements are for the music major with an emphasis in music ministry.
Keyboard and Theory Placement Tests are required for all music majors prior to beginning the first semester of classes.
In addition to the University requirements listed, acceptance into the Music major requires passing the piano proficiency, being approved for applied study at the 300 level, and passing the sophomore review.
A major in Music consists of the following:
Musicianship Core (35 hours):
- MUS 153 - Keyboard Harmony I (or proficiency)
- MUS 154 - Keyboard Harmony II
- MUS 155 - Music Theory I
- MUS 156 - Music Theory II
- MUS 165 - Aural Skills I
- MUS 166 - Aural Skills II
- MUS 253 - Keyboard Harmony III *
- MUS 255 - Music Theory III
- MUS 261 - Choral Conducting
- MUS 262 - Instrumental Conducting
- MUS 265 - Aural Skills III
- MUS 366 - Music Theory IV
- MUS 374 - Survey of World Music
- MUS 375 - Music History and Literature I - Ancient through Baroque
- MUS 376 - Music History and Literature II - Classical through Romantic
- MUS 377 - Music History and Literature III - 1900 through the Present
*If the student does not pass the entire piano proficiency examination at the conclusion of MUS 253, applied piano must be taken each semester until the exam is passed.
12 hours of applied and ensemble credit as follows:
- Two (2) hours of primary applied music at the 100 level
- Two (2) hours of primary applied music at the 200 level
- Two (2) hours of primary applied music at the 300 level
- Two (2) hours of secondary applied music at the 100 level or above
- Four (4) hours of approved ensemble credit
These are the additional courses needed for the Music Ministry emphasis:
- CMUS 122 - Music Technology
- One (1) credit of MUS (220-07) - Music Ministry Experience
- MUS 261 - Choral Conducting
- MUS 384 - Music and Worship Arts Management
- One (1) credit hour of primary applied music at the 400 level*
- MUS 435 - Music Ministry Practicum**
- MUS 464 - Integrating Music, Worship Arts, and Ministry
- MUS 499 - Senior Recital
- MUS 374 - Theology and Practice of Christian Worship
*At least one year of primary applied must be at the 400 level. Primary and andsecondary must be of the following:
**The church practicum will be supervised and placement will be made in two churches, with emphases in two of the three following worship settings: traditional, contemporary, or blended services.
1) Piano Proficiency completed before acceptance into the major, regardless of instruments in Worship Leading Proficiency
2) Recital attendance each semester of enrollment
3) Musicale attendance