Psychologists explore the complexity of the brain, mental processes, and behavior.
Do you want to gain a deeper understanding of yourself and others? The psychology major provides an excellent foundation for graduate study, a liberal arts degree that opens doors to many different careers, and an educational experience that promotes intellectual, personal, and interpersonal growth.
"My practicum allowed me to get my feet wet in a clinical setting."
- Emily Jackson '14
Learn about other graduates like Emily!
A major in psychology consists of 41 hours of psychology beyond PSYC 121.
The 41 hours must include:
- PSYC 140 - Introduction to Statistics
- PSYC 220 - Psychology of Human Development
- PSYC 272 - Psychological Research Methods I
- PSYC 273 - Psychological Research Methods II
PSYC 330 - Psychology of Learning or
PSYC 333 - Human Memory and Cognition
PSYC 312 - Cultural Psychology or
PSYC 342 - Psychology of Personality or
PSYC 351 - Social Psychology
PSYC 344 - Abnormal Psychology or
PSYC 380 - Introduction to Counseling and Guidance
- PSYC 410 - Integrative Approaches to Psychology and Christianity
- PSYC 440 - Physiological Psychology
- PSYC 480 - Senior Seminar in Psychology
Psychology majors also must take at least 12 hours of electives chosen from 300- or 400- level psychology courses. Students may earn a cumulative maximum of 12 credits of PSYC 420, six of which may be counted toward the psychology major and the other six toward overall graduation requirements.
- PSYCH 420 - Research Practicum (a maximum of six hours)
- PSYCH 430 - Psychology Practicum (a maximum of three hours)
A minor in psychology requires 18 hours of coursework.
The 18 hours include:
- PSYC 121 - Introduction to Psychology
PSYC 220 - Psychology of Human Development
PSYC 140 - Introduction to Statistics or
BUS 240 - Statistics for Business
The remaining 9 hours may be selected from any other psychology offerings with the exception of PSYC 230, 430, and 480.
Selection of psychology as a liberal arts cognate requires the following requirements, as well as at least 12 hours of upper-level coursework. Talk to your adviser regarding policies governing the liberal arts major.
The initial 12 hours are: