Psychologists explore the complexity of the brain, mental processes, and behavior.
Do you want to gain a deeper understanding of yourself and others? The psychology major provides an excellent foundation for graduate study, a liberal arts degree that opens doors to many different careers, and an educational experience that promotes intellectual, personal, and interpersonal growth.
"[I gained] the education & experiences I needed to be successful..."
- Ian Roberts '10
Learn about other graduates like Ian!
A major in psychology consists of 41 hours of psychology beyond PSYC 121.
The 41 hours must include:
- PSYC 140 - Introduction to Statistics
- PSYC 220 - Psychology of Human Development
- PSYC 272 - Psychological Research Methods I
- PSYC 273 - Psychological Research Methods II
PSYC 330 - Psychology of Learning or
PSYC 333 - Human Memory and Cognition
PSYC 312 - Cultural Psychology or
PSYC 342 - Psychology of Personality or
PSYC 351 - Social Psychology
PSYC 344 - Abnormal Psychology or
PSYC 380 - Introduction to Counseling and Guidance
- PSYC 410 - Integrative Approaches to Psychology and Christianity
- PSYC 440 - Physiological Psychology
- PSYC 480 - Senior Seminar in Psychology
Psychology majors also must take at least 12 hours of electives chosen from 300- or 400- level psychology courses. Students may earn a cumulative maximum of 12 credits of PSYC 420, six of which may be counted toward the psychology major and the other six toward overall graduation requirements.
- PSYCH 420 - Research Practicum (a maximum of six hours)
- PSYCH 430 - Psychology Practicum (a maximum of three hours)
A minor in psychology requires 18 hours of coursework.
The 18 hours include:
- PSYC 121 - Introduction to Psychology
PSYC 220 - Psychology of Human Development
PSYC 140 - Introduction to Statistics or
BUS 240 - Statistics for Business
The remaining 9 hours may be selected from any other psychology offerings with the exception of PSYC 230, 430, and 480.
Selection of psychology as a liberal arts cognate requires the following requirements, as well as at least 12 hours of upper-level coursework. Talk to your adviser regarding policies governing the liberal arts major.
The initial 12 hours are: