Study how diseases work - and how to prevent them!
Are you interested in studying how, when, and where diseases occur?
Learn to determine what factors are associated with particular diseases as you train to use science to help people improve their lives.
"I teach HIV/AIDS education where..the country's rate of HIV is the third highest in the world."
- Brandon Delise
Community Health Education (BA) Alumnus, 2009, Peace Corps Volunteer
A student can pursue a Biology major and a Community and Public Health Promotion minor with a focus in Epidemiology. The student is eligible to take the national Certified Health Education Specialist examination (CHES) and is able to pursue a Masters of Science (MS) in Epidemiology or a Masters of Public Health (MPH):
Biology Major Requirements:
- BIOL 144 - General Biology I
- BIOL 145 - General Biology II
- BIOL 200 - General Botany
- BIOL 253 - Invertebrate Zoology
- BIOL 254 - Vertebrate Zoology
- BIOL 313 - Principles of Immunology
- BIOL 371 - Microbiology
- BIOL 372 - Genetics
- BIOL 381 - General Ecology
- One additional Biology elective at the 300/400 level
- CHEM 131 - General Chemistry I
- CHEM 132 - General Chemistry II
- MATH 150 - PrecalculusOR
- MATH 201 - Calculus
(Note: The above listing is a modification of the standard Biology major based upon program requirements for entrance into a Master of Science (MS) in Epidemiology or a Masters of Public Health (MPH).
Community and Public Health Promotion Minor Requirements:
- HED 200 - Health Promotion and Education
- HED 300 - Community and Public Health
- HED 322 - Global Health
- HED 342 - Introduction to Illness and Diseases
- HED 361 - Drug Education
- HED 372 - Environmental Health
- HED 442 - Biostatistics and Epidemiology
Certified Health Education Specialist (C.H.E.S.)
Students interested in pursuing the Certified Health Education Specialist (C.H.E.S.) must take the required courses in the Community and Public Health Promotion minor (21 hours); and 2 additional courses from the following for a total of 25+ semester hours: