Duane F. Watson
Professor of New Testament Studies
Doctor of Philosophy, Duke University, Durham, N.C., 1986
Master of Divinity, Princeton Theological Seminary, Princeton, N.J., 1981
Bachelor of Arts, Houghton College, Houghton, N.Y., 1978
Professor of New Testament Studies, Malone University, 1996-
Associate Professor of New Testament Studies, Malone College, 1992-96
Assistant Professor of New Testament Studies, Malone College, 1989-92
Pastor of the Tri-Church Parish United Methodist Churches of Steuben, North Western, and Westernville, N.Y., 1987-89
Post-Doctoral Study, Emory University, 1986-87
Assistant Professor of Biblical Studies, Ashland Theological Seminary, 1984-86
Teaching Assistant in New Testament and Church History, Duke University, 1981-84
Teaching Assistant in New Testament Greek, Princeton Theological Seminary, 1980-81
Paper Production, St. Regis Paper Company, Deferiet, N.Y., Summers 1975-1982
Owner and Operator of Docs Crocks, an antique business specializing in 18th, 19th, and early 20th century American Stoneware. The largest company of its kind in America.
Recent Scholarly Work
- Editor, Miracle Discourse in the New Testament. Atlanta: Society of Biblical Literature, 2012.
- First and Second Peter (with Terrance Callan). Paideia Commentaries on the New Testament. Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2012.
- Editor (with Robert L. Webb). Reading Second Peter Through New Eyes: Methodological Reassessments of the Letter of Second Peter. Library of New Testament Studies 382. London: T. & T. Clark, 2010.
- Editor (with Alan J. Hauser). The History of Biblical Interpretation,Volume II: The Medieval through the Reformation Periods. Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans, 2009.
- Editor (with C. Clifton Black). Words Well Spoken: George Kennedy's Rhetoric of the New Testament. Studies in Rhetoric and Religion 8. Waco, Tex.: Baylor University Press, 2008.
- The Rhetorical Criticism of the New Testament: A Bibliographic Survey. Tools for Biblical Study Series 8. Blandford Forum, UK: Deo Publishing, 2006.
- Editor (with Alan J. Hauser). The History of Biblical Interpretation, Volume I: The Ancient Period. Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans, 2003.
- Editor (with David B. Gowler and L. Gregory Bloomquist). Fabrics of Discourse: Essays in Honor of Vernon K. Robbins. Harrisburg, Pa.: Trinity Press International, 2003.
- Editor, The Intertexture of Apocalyptic Discourse in the New Testament. Symposium Series 14. Leiden: E. J. Brill/Atlanta: Society of Biblical Literature, 2002.
- Rhetorical Criticism of the Bible: A Comprehensive Bibliography with Notes on History and Method. Biblical Interpretation Series 4. Leiden: E.J. Brill, 1994 (Old Testament portion by Alan J. Hauser).
- Editor, Persuasive Artistry: Studies in New Testament Rhetoric in Honor of George A. Kennedy.
- Journal for the Study of the New Testament Supplement Series 50. Sheffield: Sheffield Academic Press, 1991.
- Invention, Arrangement, and Style: Rhetorical Criticism of Jude and 2 Peter. Society of Biblical Literature Dissertation Series 104. Atlanta: Scholars Press, 1988.
Articles in the following journals:
Catholic Biblical Quarterly; Currents in Research: Biblical Studies; Journal for the Study of the New Testament; Journal of Biblical Literature; New Testament Studies; Novum Testamentum
Entries in the following dictionaries and encyclopedias:
Anchor Bible Dictionary; Blackwell Companion of the New Testament; Dictionary of Biblical Imagery; Dictionary of Biblical Interpretation; Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels; Dictionary of the Later New Testament and Its Developments; Dictionary of New Testament Background; Dictionary of Paul and His Letters; Eerdmans Dictionary of the Bible; Encyclopedia of the Historical Jesus; IVP Dictionary of the New Testament; New Interpreters' Dictionary of the Bible; Paul and the Greco-Roman World: A Handbook; Encyclopedia of Rhetoric and Composition; Evangelisches Kirchenlexikon; International Standard Bible Encyclopedia
Published essays in the following edited volumes and festschriften:
Early Christianity and Classical Culture: Comparative Studies in Honor of Abraham J. Malherbe; Fabrics of Discourse: Essays in Honor of Vernon K. Robbins; Genealogy of New Testament Rhetorical Criticism; History of Biblical Interpretation, Volumes 1 & 2; James, 1 & 2 Peter, and Early Jesus Tradition; New Interpreter's Bible; Intertexture of Apocalyptic Discourse in the New Testament; Paul and Rhetoric; Persuasive Artistry: Studies in New Testament Rhetoric in Honor of George A. Kennedy; Reading 1-2 Peter and Jude; Reading James with New Eyes: Methodological Reassessments of the Letter of James; Rhetoric and the New Testament: Essays from the 1992 Heidelberg Conference; Rhetorical Analysis of Scripture: Essays from the 1995 London Conference; Rhetorical Argumentation in Biblical Texts: Essays from the Lund 2000 Conference; Rhetorical Criticism and the Bible; The Rhetorical Interpretation of Scripture: Essays from the 1996 Malibu Conference; Vision and Persuasion: Rhetorical Dimensions of Apocalyptic Discourse.
General Co-Editor (with Vernon K. Robbins) of the Rhetoric in Religious Antiquity Series (1997- ) for Society of Biblical Literature Press
Member of the Editorial Board of Emory Studies in Early Christianity (1999- )
Member of the Editorial Board of Currents in Biblical Research (2005- )
Member of the Editorial board of the Biblical Interpretation Series published by E. J. Brill (2012- )
Program Unit Co-Chair of the Letters of James, Peter, and Jude Section of the Society of Biblical Literature Annual Meeting (2011- )
42 papers presented at regional, national, and international conferences
Undergraduate: New Testament Interpretation; Gospel and Epistles of John; Corinthian Correspondence; Hebrews, James, 1 and 2 Peter, and Jude; Book of Revelation; Introductory New Testament Greek; Intermediate New Testament Greek; Hermeneutics