Jason R. Courter
Assistant Professor of Biology
Ph.D. Wildlife Ecology, Clemson University
M.S. Biology, Eastern Kentucky University
B.S. Science Education, Taylor University
ExperienceAssistant Professor of Biology, Malone University (2013 - present)
Visiting Assistant Professor of Environmental Science, Taylor University (2012-2013)
Research Assistant, Clemson University Department of Fisheries and Wildlife (2009-2012)
Rocky Mountain Field Instructor, Taylor University Biology Department (Summer 2008)
Teaching Assistant, Eastern Kentucky University Biology Department (2007-2009)
High School Biology and Earth Science Educator, Christiansburg High School, Virginia (2003-2007)
- Wildlife Biology and Conservation
- Environmental Science
- General Biology I and II
- Research Methods in the Natural Sciences
Recent Scholarly Work
- Arab A, JR Courter, J.Zelt. 2016 A spatio-temporal comparison of avian migration phenology using Citizen Science data. Spatial Statistics. In press.
- Chapman M, JR Courter, PE Rothrock, J Reber. 2016. Riparian Width and Neotropical Avian Species Richness in the Agricultural Midwest. The Proceedings of the Indiana Academy of Science. In press.
- Arab A and JR Courter. 2015 spatio-temporal trend analysis of spring arrival data for migratory birds. Communications in Statistics - Simulation and Computation 44 (10): 2535-2547.
- Courter JR, RJ Johnson, KG Hubbard, WC Bridges. 2013. Assessing migration of Ruby-throated Hummingbirds at broad temporal and spatial scales. Auk 130: 1-11. Editor's Choice Award and popular media coverage by The New York Times, The Washington Post, The Guardian, and National Public Radio.
- Courter JR, RJ Johnson, CM Stuyck, BA Lang, EW Kaiser. 2013. Weekend bias in Citizen Science data reporting: implications for phenology studies. International Journal of Biometerology 57:715-720.
- Courter JR and G Ritchison. 2012. Assymetries in mobbing behavior among nuclear flockmates. The Wilson Journal of Ornithology 124:627-630.
- Zelt J, JR Courter, A Arab, RJ Johnson, S Droege. 2012 Reviving a legacy Citizen Science project to illuminate shifts in bird phenology. International Journal of Zoology 2012:1-6.
- Surasinghe TD, JR Courter, RF Baldwin, RJ Johnson. 2012. Use of threat-analysis to assess the effects of land development on biodiversity in a Blue Ridge-Piedmont landscape. Journal of Conservation Planning 8:1-11.
- Surasinghe TD, JR Courter. 2012. Citizen science as a teaching lab in ecology. Bioscene 38(2): 16-20.
- Courter JR. 2011 Graduate students in conservation biology: helping bridge the Research-Implementation Gap. Journal for Nature Conservation 20:62-64.
- Courter JR and G Ritchison. 2010. Alarm calls of Tufted Titmice convey information about predator size and threat. Behavioral Ecology 21:936-942.