Assistant Professor of Biology
B.S. in Medical Technology, University of Akron; Passed certification examination of American Society of Clinical Pathologists
Ph.D. in Molecular and Cellular Biology, Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine/Kent State University
Associate of Applied Science (Physician Assistant), Cuyahoga Community College; Passed certification examination of National Commission On Certification of Physician Assistants
Fellowship - Schering Corporation Fellowship Program in Liver Disease for Physician Assistants, MetroHealth Medical Center
008-present: Malone University, Assistant Professor of Biology
2001-2008: MetroHealth Medical Center, Physician Assistant, Division of Gastroenterology
1995-1997: Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Research Fellow
1974-76: Akron Children's Hospital, Medical Technologist
2004-2007: Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Instructor Phase I Gastroenterology/Nutrition Faculty
2004-2007: American Liver Foundation, Northeast Ohio Chapter; Coordinator/Facilitator and Lecturer for Hepatitis C Support Groups
2004-2005: American Academy of Physician Assistants; Lecturer for Chapter Lecture Series on Hepatitis C
2000-2004: Cuyahoga Community College; Physician Assistant/Surgical Physician Assistant Program: guest lecturer
Recent Scholarly Work
Select Invited Lectures:
- American Academy of Physician Assistants (AAPA) Chapter Lecture Series: "Natural History and Management of Hepatitis C"; Society of Air Force Physician Assistants Annual CME Meeting; San Antonio TX; November 15, 2004.
- AAPA Chapter Lecture Series: "Natural History and Management of Hepatitis C" Michigan Association of Physician Assistants Annual CME Meeting. Grand Rapids, MI, September 9, 2004.
- "Management of Complications of Cirrhosis" AAPA Annual Conference, Orlando, FL, June 1, 2005.
- "Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease" AAPA Annual Conference, San Francisco, CA, May 30, 2006.
- "Case based Approach to the Diagnosis and Treatment of GERD" New York State Society of Physician Assistants Fall 2006 CME Conference. Saratoga Springs, NY, September 29, 2006.
- "Statins and acetaminophen in Liver Disease" AAPA Annual Conference. Philadelphia, PA. May 28, 2007.
- "Drug-Induced Liver Disease" American Gastroenterological Association's Third Annual Course for Mid-Level Providers, San Francisco, CA. August 5-9, 2007.
- "Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (NAFLD) and Metabolic Syndrome" American Gastroenterological Association's Fourth Annual Course for Mid-Level Providers, Montreal, Quebec, Canada. August 17-21, 2008.
Publications and Extracts:
CME Monograph: "Advanced Liver Disease and its Complications in persons with Hepatitis C"
Falck-Ytter, Y., Dasarathy, S., Thiruppathi, S., Rogers, N., McCullough, AJ.
High Prevalence of Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease and Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis in Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus. Hepatology (2006); 44 (supl):660A
Larsen, N., Kestler, H., and Docherty, J., Mice Transgenic for Simian Immunodeficiency Virus nef are Immunologically compromised. Journal of Biomedical Science (1998); 5:260-266.
Larsen, N., Tobin, G., Salkowitz, J., Ma, X., Gonda, M., Docherty, J., and Kestler, H (1996)
Immunologic function of mice transgenic for SIV nef. The Center for AIDS Research, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio.
Larsen, N., Tobin, G., Salkowitz, J., Ma, X., Gonda, M., Docherty, J., and Kestler, H. (1996)
Immunologic function of mice transgenic for SIV nef. Kent State University School of Biomedical Sciences Annual Meeting.
Clinical Research Experience:
NIH Substudy U DK 61732-42115: "Omega-3 Fatty acids in Diabetics with NASH";
Period of support 2006-2008.
NIH U DK 61732: Clinical Research Network in Non-Alcoholic Steatohepatitis (NASH);
40% effort; period of support 2002-2009
Phase IIIB "Comparison of PEG-Intron 1.5 mcg/kg/week Plus Rebetrol vs. PEG-Intron 1 mcg/kg/week vs PEGASYS 180 mcg/week Plus COPEGUS in Previously Untreated Adult Subjects with Chronic Hepatitis C with Genotype 1" Schering Plough Pharmaceuticals, Protocol # P03471; 2005
Phase III Clinical Trial "Pegylated Interferon + Ribavirin + Amantadine for Treatment of Chronic Hepatitis C"; Schering Plough Pharmaceuticals; 11/00-11/02
I love adventure, thus I love traveling. Since early childhood, I have enjoyed camping, hiking, swimming, biking, water skiing, and snorkeling. Being outdoors is essential to me. My husband, Jack, and I enjoy walking and biking. I particularly enjoy exploring the Arizona desert with my brother who works as a planner for the Tohono Indian Nation. We have been blessed with four children, two grandchildren, and large extended families - our favorite activity is time spent with our loved ones. I also enjoy "handwork" as my grandmother called it - knitting, sewing, and needlework; as well as watching my master potter husband work in his studio.