Associate Professor of Biblical Studies
B.A., magna cum laude, University of Minnesota
M.Div., Asbury Theological Seminary
Ph.D., University of Durham
ExperienceAssociate Professor of Biblical Studies, Malone University, 2009-present
Assistant Professor of Biblical Studies, Malone University, 2004-2009
Ordained Deacon in the United Methodist Church (East Ohio Annual Conference)
Recent Scholarly Work
- "Subverting Texts, Subverting Power: Luke's Rewriting of Amos in Acts 15:16-17." Paper presented at the Rewriting in Luke and Acts conference in Roskilde, Denmark, June 2014.
- Respondent to Niels Willert's paper, "Luke's Portrait of Jesus and the Political Authorities in his Passion Narrative: A Rewriting of the Passion Narratives of the Other Gospels," at the Rewriting in Luke and Acts conference in Roskilde, Denmark, June 2014.
- "Mercy." Pages 584-588 in Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels. rev. ed. Downers Grove: IVP Academic, 2013.
- Dynamic Oneness: The Significance and Flexibility of Paul’s One-God Language. Eugene, OR: Pickwick, 2010.
- Panelist, J. Arthur Heck Lectures, United Theological Seminary, Dayton, OH, April 2010. Reviewed Craig A. Evans' Fabricating Jesus: How Modern Scholars Distort the Gospels.
- "Predicting Heresy: Paul's Rationale in 1 Cor 15:24-28." Paper presented at the Society of Biblical Literature Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA, November 2009.
- Review of William M. Greathouse, Romans 1-8 and Romans 9-16. New Beacon Bible Commentary. Wesleyan Theological Journal 46 (2011): 212-214.
- Review of Stephen Westerholm, Perspectives Old and New on Paul: The 'Lutheran' Paul and His Critics. Scottish Journal of Theology 60 (2007): 495-497.
Teaching AssignmentsIntroduction to the Bible
The New Testament
Gospel of Luke
Acts of the Apostles
New Testament Greek
Communicating the Christian Faith
Dr. Nicholson is married to Lee, a youth pastor, and they have two children.