Interested in both biology and chemistry? Want to study both? Biochemistry is the study of the chemical process of living things. Biochemists try to understand the structures and functions of molecules in cells, the chemical reactions necessary for life and the molecular basis of disease.
- Build relationships with faculty members who will prepare you well for everything you need to know in the competitive STEM field!
- Engage in a 'flipped classroom' - where you'll collaborate in discussions, carry out research, watch online lectures, and master concepts in and out of the classroom all under the guidance of expert faculty.
- Advisers help facilitate shadowing experiences for pre-professional students in local hospitals and clinics.
- Our program emphasizes and is deeply committed to the integration of the Christian faith into the classroom and also to the stewardship mandate to care for the created order.
- Our graduates have a proven record of success and a high acceptance rate into their top choice of health professional schools.
- Go on to graduate school (many of the following fields require additional degrees!)
- Analytical chemist
- Biomedical scientist
- Healthcare scientist, clinical biochemistry
- Forensic scientist
- Scientific laboratory technician
There are numerous opportunities to pursue research with our faculty - or pursue and present your own at our annual Student Research Symposium. In addition, students have enjoyed presenting at national conferences. This is excellent preparation for graduate school - and your career.
Biochemistry is a new major at Malone. However, examples of where Malone Alumni who have graduated in our Biology and Chemistry programs include:
- Chair, Department of Internal Medicine, Mercy Medical Center
- Veterinarian, Canton Veterinary Hospital Inc.
- Physician, Kodiak Community Health Center, Anchorage Alaska
- Endocrinologist, Riverside Methodist Hospital
- Behavioral Husbandry Keeper, Nashville Zoo
- Executive Director, Clover Field Wildlife Care
- Medical Technologist, Covance (a global Contract Research Organization)
- Liquid chromatography/mass spectometry (LC/MS) analyst, Covance
- Supervision of Filtration and Laboratory, Canton Water Department
- Cardiologist, Cardiovascular Consultants
- Cytotechnologist, Lab Corporation of America
- Outpatient Therapist/Forensic Therapist, Dickinson Mental Health Center
- Professor of Chemistry, Malone University
- Professor of Chemistry, Grove City College
See where a degree from Malone will take you!