6325-Malone University awards outstanding faculty, staff, administrator
6325-April 19, 2012
Malone University announced the 2012 recipients of the Distinguished Faculty Awards and Outstanding Staff and Administrator at the annual "Celebrating Excellence" service.
Distinguished Faculty Awards recognize faculty excellence in the areas of teaching, scholarship/creative expression, and service. Each year, faculty, staff, and students are invited to nominate full-time faculty members for consideration by a selection committee. The committee is composed of the previous year's distinguished faculty, administrative personnel, and at least two students. Nominees are asked to submit a written statement about their teaching, service, or scholarship/creative expression.
The recipients of this year's Distinguished Faculty Awards are:
- Teaching - Matt Phelps, Ph.D., professor of psychology since 1998 (pictured left).
- Scholarship - Jay Case, Ph.D., professor of history since 1999. In 2004, Dr. Case was the recipient of the Distinguished Faculty Award for Teaching (pictured center).
- Service - Diane Chambers, Ph.D., professor of English, director of the Honors Program, since 1996. In 2005, Dr. Chambers was the recipient for the Distinguished Faculty Award for Teaching (pictured right).
In addition, the University recognized the 2012 Employees of the Year, nominated by colleagues and selected by the University Collegium:
- Outstanding Staff Employee of the Year - Patti Elkins, who has served Malone University from 1982-1986, and again since 2006, most recently as facilities coordinator/support person – Registrar's Office (pictured left).
- Outstanding Administrative Employee of the Year - Sandy Johnson, who has served Malone University since 1974, most recently as director of orientation and special programs (pictured right).
Malone University, a Christian university for the arts, sciences, and professions in the liberal arts tradition, affiliated with the Evangelical Friends Church, awards both undergraduate and graduate degrees in more than 100 academic programs. Malone is recognized by the prestigious Templeton Foundation as a leader in character development, named an NAIA Champions of Character Five Star Award winner, and is ranked among the top colleges and universities in the Midwest under the category Regional Universities according to U.S.News & World Report's America's Best Colleges 2012.
Suzanne Thomas, APR
Director of University Relations
2600 Cleveland Avenue N.W., Canton, OH, 44709