Job Search Checklist
Here is a checklist of activities, documents and resources that can help you stay focused - and organized. Enjoy a sense of internship/career search readiness and confidence as you pursue your goals.
- Pray for God's wisdom in all of your decision making and actions
- Personal assessment (identify specific skills, strengths and values using the assessment tool Malone.MyPlan.com )
- Resume (one page preferred - education, nursing and ministry majors may have up to two pages)
- Cover Letter (customized to each position using the specific job description)
- Reference page - list five references (ask permission and provide a copy of your resume to each person)
- Letters of recommendation - from professors or supervisors (paid or unpaid positions)
- Portfolio - a purposeful collection of certificates, illustrations, special experiences, lesson plans, etc. (max of 10-15 pages). Use the MaloneCareerConnect.com portfolio module to build an electronic version. Samples and step-by-step instructions are provided.
- Marketing list - 25 employers for whom you would like to work
- Research each company/organization/school on your list - check for annual report information
- Statement of faith/ testimony - anyone applying to a Christian organization (one page summary)
- Philosophy of teaching - education majors (one page summary)
- Make a list of your top skills/traits - illustrate each with examples
- Prepare good questions to ask an employer during an interview (8-10)
- Learn how to present yourself over the telephone and pre-interview
- Conduct information and participate in mock interviews to gain networking/interview experience
- Prepare interview clothes and accessories - be professional and conservative. If in doubt, don't wear it.
- Networking list - provide a copy of your resume to all in your network and maintain regular contact
- Conduct informational interviews starting with the people from your network
- Get organized; use a planner/calendar to schedule your job search
- Prepare your interview clothes by checking to see that all are clean, pressed and polished. Choose clothing that is dark in color and conservative in style.
- After the interview, ask for business cards or write down the correct spelling of the interviewer's name(s) and job title of each person
- Thank-you note cards - always send a note within 24 hours after every interview
- Update your resume and resubmit it on-line to MaloneCareerConnect.com each semester
- Call or e-mail pjvaarl+znybar+rqh after you accept an internship/ job offer
Prepare for a meaningful career - make your own mission statement and live it!