Test Taking Tips: Type of Test
Not all tests are alike: plan accordingly!
- Try to answer the question in your head, before you look at the answer choices.
- Read all of the answer choices.
- Eliminate the answers you know are wrong.
- Look for key words (all, always, never, every, none).
- Ready questions carefully! One word will often determine if a statement is true or false.
- Read each question and start with the easiest one.
- Briefly brainstorm ideas if you are unsure of how to begin.
- Restate the question.
- Begin with your main idea and then add supporting details; in other words, get to the point!
- Use complete sentences.
- Write neatly.
Open Book/Open Note
- Spend time preparing like you would for a normal test.
- Get familiar with the book/notes.
- If permitted, write down all the most important formulas and key information.
- Highlight and focus on the main ideas.
Computer Generated Tests
- Use scratch paper.
- Check if the test is timed or has a close date.
- Make sure you know the rules of the test and testing location.