Albert H. Smith, Jr., CPA, CMA
Albert ("Bert") Smith is a lifelong resident of Canton. He graduated from Mount Union College in 1977 with a BA in Accounting, and from The Ohio State University in 1979 with the MBA degree including a concentration in finance. He passed the CPA exam in 1981 and the CMA exam in 1999. After five years working with Ernst and Young LLP, Bert joined the administration of Malone in 1983, and soon began to teach. He has held a number of administrative and faculty positions at Malone, including Dean of the School of Business. He is an associate professor with teaching responsibilities primarily in the field of financial accounting. Bert holds elected positions on the committee on organization, and was appointed to the Worldview Forum Council.
Bert is married to Judith L. Smith. They have two adult children, A. Andrew and Bonnie. Bert is an assistant scoutmaster with Boy Scout Troop 4 and enjoys outdoor sports such as backpacking, canoeing and sailing. He is treasurer of Christ Presbyterian Church and an active member of a number of committees there. One of the major joys of his life is singing in the Chancel Choir. Bert also serves on the board of directors for not-for-profit organizations, Voices of Canton, Inc. (VOCI) and Heritage House.
- B.A., Major in Accounting, Mount Union College, 1977
- MBA, Concentration in Finance, The Ohio State University, 1979
- 1979-1983 Ernst and Whinney (now Ernst and Young, LLP), Certified Public Accountants, Senior Accountant
- 1983-1984 Malone Manager of Computer Services
- 1984-1988 Malone Assistant to Manager of Computer Services
- 1987-1998 Malone University, Chair of the Administrative Sciences Department
- 1998-2000 MCMP, Adjunct Faculty Coordinator
- 2001-2003 Chair of the Malone Faculty
- 2001-2004 Co-Coordinator, NCA Continuation of Accreditation
- 2005-2009 Dean, School of Business
- 1983-1984 Part-time instructor of accounting and business administration, Malone
- 1984-Present Malone University, Full-time Associate Professor of Business Administration, tenure granted 1991.
- Principles of Accounting I & II
- Auditing Theory
- Intermediate Accounting I & II
- College Experience
- Advanced Accounting I & II
- Cost Accounting
- MBA Financial Accounting for Management Decision Making and Control (Ground and Online)