Katie Gamby, Ph.D., LPCC, CWC
Assistant Professor, Counseling & Human Development Department
- B.S., Indiana Wesleyan University
- M.A., University of Toledo
- Ph.D., University of Toledo
- 2019-present, Assistant Professor, Counseling & Human Development Department, Malone University, Canton, OH
- 2016-present, Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor and CEO, The Wellife, LLC, Canton, OH
- 2019-2021, Licensed Professional Counselor, Malone Counseling Center, Canton, OH
- 2016-2019, Assistant Professor, School of Human Services-Master of Arts in Counseling, Spring Arbor University, Spring Arbor, MI
- 2015-2016, Licensed Professional Counselor, University of Toledo Counseling Center, Toledo, OH
- 2014-2016, Instructor of Record, Department of School Psychology, Higher Education, and Counselor Education, University of Toledo, Toledo, OH
Recent Scholarly Work
- Gamby, K., Burns, D., & Forristal K. (2021). Wellness decolonized: The philosophical and historical underpinnings of wellness and recommendations for the counseling field. Journal of Mental Health Counseling, 43(3), 228-225. https://doi.org/10.17744/mehc.43.3.05
- Jones, D., Park., J., Gamby, K., Bigelow, T. (2021). Mental health epigenetics: A primer with implications for counselors. The Professional Counselor. 11(1), 116-135.https://doi.org/10.15241/dej.11.1.116
- Gamby, K., Clark, M., O’Hara, C., Ausloos, C., Delaney, C., & Granello, P. (2020). Professional counselors’ referral processes to complementary health practitioners. Journal of Creativity in Counseling, https://doi.org/10.1080/15401383.2020.1781723
- Brat, M., Gamby, K., Avadhanam, R., (2017). Self-Compassion: An approach to enhance millennial college students’ well-being. Counseling & Wellness: A professional counseling journal, 6.
- Desposito, M., Gamby, K. (2021, June). Active empathy: Cultivating relational growth. Association for Humanistic Counselors Conference; Online.
- Durham, S., Burns, D., Gamby, K. (2021, April). Crisis in development: An examination of the formation of religious and spiritual identities throughout adversity. OASERVIC Conference; Online Workshop.
- Gamby, K., Schnyders, C., McGrath, P., & Kaelber, K. (2020, October). Telebehavioral health in Ohio: What we've learned from COVID-19. All Ohio Counselors Conference; Columbus, OH. *Moved online because of Covid-19
- Jones, D., Gamby, K. (2020, October). Treating Clients with Epigenetics in Mind. All Ohio Counselors Conference; Columbus, OH. *Moved online because of Covid-19
- Desposito, M., Gamby, K. (2020, May). The Rainbow after the Storm: Navigating LGBTGEQIAP+ Grief and Loss with Meaning Reconstruction. CSI Ohio Conference; Kent, OH.
- Gamby, K., Desposito, M. (2020, March). When a Good Thing Goes Bad: Spiritual Bypass as a Roadblock to Growth. OASERVIC Workshop; Canton, OH.
- Desposito, M., Gamby, K., & Stohlman, M. (2020, March). Beyond Values Clarification: Best Ethical Practices for Integrating the Spiritual Dimension in Assessment Practices. OASERVIC Workshop; Canton, OH.
- Jones, D., Park, J., Gamby, K., Bigelow, T. (2019, October). The connection between epigenetics and trauma: Applications for pedagogy, supervision, practice, and research. Association for Counselor Education and Supervision Conference; Seattle, WA.
- Gamby, K., & Desposito, M. (2019, November). When CBT doesn't work: A primer on Schema Therapy for maladaptive coping styles. All-Ohio Counselors Conference; Columbus, OH.
- Gamby, K., & Desposito, M. (2019, March). Factoring wellness into treatment planning. American Counseling Association Conference; New Orleans, LA.
- Gamby, K., & Desposito, M. (2018, April). Mental imagery for emotional regulation disorders. American Counseling Association Conference; Atlanta, GA.
- OASERVIC Advocacy & Elevation of Client Welfare Award - 2021 This award recognizes a counselor who advocates for the promotion of best ethical practices for their clients through the competencies of the profession and the values of diversity, equity, and equality.
- Ohio Counseling Association Professional Leadership Award - 2019 Recognizes and honors persons who through their vision, leadership, and concern for others and the profession have strengthened, expanded, and enhanced the counseling profession within Ohio.
- Northwest Ohio Counseling Association Counselor of the Year- 2019 Awarded to one counselor in the Northwest Ohio Counseling region who provides outstanding services to their clients, who models exemplary ethical and professional behavior, and who shows commitment and dedication to the counseling profession.
- University Fellowship 2015-2017 Highest student award from the College of Graduate Studies at the University of Toledo and is extended to only ten graduate students of exceptional ability and promise.
- Alpha Omega CSI Doctoral Student of the Year 2015-2016