Dr. Sonji D. Gregory, Ph.D., LPCC-S
Assistant Professor of Counseling and Human Development
- B.A., Malone University
- M.A., Ashland Theological Seminary
- Ph.D., Regent University in Counselor Education and Supervision
- Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor with Supervision Status (LPPC-S)
- Trained Adoption Home Study Provider
- Foster-Care and Adoption Trainer of the Trainer
- 2006-Current, Contract Foster-Care and Adoption Trainer
- 2002-2016, Pastoral, Marital, and Pre-Marital Counseling
- 2000-2006, Clinical Counselor at Bellefaire Jewish Children’s Bureau
- 1999-2000, Licensed Counselor at Community Mental Healthcare of Dover
- 1998-1999, Clinical Internship at Child and Adolescent Service Center
- 1994-1999, Community Support Provider at Child and Adolescent Service Center
Recent Scholarly Work
- Gregory, S. Chapter 2: Adapting Counseling Theory to Adolescents (2017). In L. Underwood, & F.L.L. Dailey, Counseling Adolescents Competently. Thousands Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Gregory, S. , Newmeyer, M., Baum, L., & Lichi, D. (2016). Family distress in missionaries as measured by the MMPI-2-RF (Doctoral dissertation). Retrieved from ProQuest database. (UMI No. 10011615)
Peer-Reviewed Journal Article
- Newmeyer, M.D., Keyes, B., Gregory, S., Palmer, K., Buford, D., Mondt, P., & Okai, B (2014). The modulation of spirituality: Using the CISM model with mental health service providers, International Journal of Emergency Mental Health,16(1), 13-19.
- Gregory, S. and Gregory, D., Stereotyped (2015). In C.S. Bhat, Y. Pillay, & P.R. Selvaraj (Eds.), Group work experts share their favorite activities for the prevention and treatment of substance use disorders. (pp.375-377). Alexandria, VA: Association for Specialists in Group Work.
- Gregory, S. Choose Your Own Ending. (2014). In J. DeLucia-Waack, S. Korta, K.
- Martin, E. Martin, L. Zawadzki, & F. Colvin (Eds.), School counselors share their favorite classroom guidance activities: A guide to choosing, planning, conducting, and processing (pp. 141-143). Alexandria, VA: Association for Specialists in Group Work.
- Gregory, S. “The Impact of Interpersonal Differences on Missionary Couples”. (2018). Mental Health and Missions conference (MHM) in Angola, IN.
- Cline, J. & Gregory, S. “Wellness Ambassadors: Cultivating Holistic Living in Communities Counselors Serve”. (2018). American Counseling Association (ACA) National Conference and Expo in Atlanta, GA.
- Gregory, S. “Behavior Issues and Mental Health Diagnosis”. (2017). Beauty for Ashes National Adoptive Parent Conference at Beulah Beach in Vermillion, Ohio.
State and Regional Conference
- Gregory, S & Mondt P. (2013). “Spirituality as a Protective Factor against Compassion Fatigue-The Mother Teresa Effect" Ohio Counseling Association (OCA) All Ohio Counseling Conference. Columbus, Ohio.
- Gregory, S. “Multicultural Communication”. (2018). Mercy Medical Hospice.
- Gregory, S. “Multicultural Communication”. (2017). Summa Health Systems Hospice.
- Gregory, S. “Rotting Fruit: Are you feeding your marriage expired fruit?” (2014). Malone University, Equip2Serve. Canton, Ohio.
- Gregory, S. “Leading Children in Authentic Worship” (2014). Malone University, Equip2Serve. Canton, Ohio.
- Gregory, S. “Leading Children to Christ” (2014). Malone University, Equip2Serve. Canton, Ohio.
- Gregory, S. “On the Move Again- Multiple Placements in Foster-Care”. (2008-2015). State NEORTC
- Gregory, S. “Successfully Blending Families” (2008-2015). State of Ohio NEORTC
- Gregory, S. Professional Foster Care Workshops Developed and Presented at Pathway CFC Foster Care
- Agency (2006-Present): “Caregiver Self-Care”, “Same Family- Different Face, Cultural Diversity”, “Traumatic Events and the Effects on the Brain”, “Understanding Personality Disorders”, “Fears That Go Bump in the Night; Childhood Fears”, “Self-Destructive Youth” , “Single Parenting; Balancing Mom’s and Dad’s roles”, “The Cycle of Addiction” , “The Important Bond between Brothers and Sisters; Attachment”, “Teens, Sexuality, and Pregnancy”, “Raising Children That Act Out Sexually”
- Gregory, S. “Effectively Teaching Emotions to Children for Teachers and Counselors”. (2008). Summit
- County PSC Professional CEU Workshops. Akron, Ohio.
- Gregory, S. Professional Foster Care Workshops Developed and Presented at Bellefaire JCB Foster Care
- Agency (2001-2006): “Parenting a culturally diverse child”, “Understanding Your Child’s Mental Health”, “Independent and Daily Living Skills”, “Childhood Depression”, “Medically Fragile and Special Needs Children”, “Controlling Out–of- Control Behavior”.
- COUN 544- Foundations of Clinical Counseling (Online and Hybrid)
- COUN 567 - Group Dynamics/Processing/Counseling (Online and Hybrid)
- COUN 570 - Career Development and Lifestyle Counseling (Online)
- COUN 634 - Marriage and Family Counseling (Online and Hybrid)
- COUN 503 - Multicultural Counseling and Advocacy (Online and Hybrid)