Director of Annual Giving
Position: Director of Annual Giving
Start Date: When filled
About the Position
The Director of Annual Giving is responsible for all aspects of fundraising for the annual fund, working toward a dollar and participation goal established by the Vice President of the Office of Advancement and approved by the Cabinet members. This person will interact with internal and external constituencies including donors, alumni, parents, friends, volunteers, and students.
The director’s primary responsibility is the strategic execution and management of a comprehensive annual giving program, collaborating with other team members to promote the educational opportunities and outcomes provided by Malone University — the Malone experience — to prospective contributors.
The director develops, implements, and evaluates for effectiveness a coordinated matrix of engagement and solicitation strategies through the utilization of direct mail, e-solicitations, online giving, phonathon and personal visitation all focused on shaping a sustainable tradition of annual support. In addition, the director will foster the growth of high impact practices as related to annual giving and the University as a whole. The director has a keen appreciation for annual, repeatable giving as the enabling component of a successful advancement operation.
The director provides strategic direction and long-range/short-range planning for all these areas in the context of growing the annual giving program while supporting the greater advancement and A Bolder Vision campaign goals. The director is responsible for ensuring that the University is a leader among peers as measured externally in terms of total dollars, percentage participation, consistency of giving, and average gift size.
Essential Duties, Tasks and Responsibilities
- In conjunction with the Office of Advancement team, leads in the development of overall cultivation and fund raising strategies/operational plans with an emphasis on exploring new and innovative techniques for solicitation, cultivation, and stewardship of all annual fund donors in order to assure retention and high participation percentages and achieve annual unrestricted fund raising goals.
- Proposes yearly budget recommendations to support Annual Giving strategies and operational plans. Oversees the budgets assigned to the Director of Annual Giving to ensure sound fiscal expenditures and management.
- Each year, provide leadership for comprehensive Annual Giving programs that include sophisticated donor segmentation strategies for phonathon, thankathon, direct mail, email, personal solicitation, and social media solicitation components for the purpose of acquiring and retaining donors from various constituency groups. These programs should also promote a Culture of Philanthropy on the Malone University campus and with our many constituents.
- Maintain an awareness and understanding through continuing education and interaction with colleagues at other institutions, of trends and developments in annual giving.
- Cultivate and steward donors in the database not assigned to a Development Officer, as well as having a portfolio of assigned constituents.
- Provide monthly reports for all areas of the annual fund, with analysis and recommendations for growth.
- Manage key giving programs designed to promote a culture of philanthropy on Malone’s campus and beyond, including alumni giving, employee giving and student stewardship and philanthropy education.
- Supports the activities and efforts of the Office of Advancement in managing the engagement of prospects for major university priorities and conferring on strategic goals and directions.
- Identifies, engages and supports key volunteers in numerous Annual Giving activities and manages their engagement of prospects for university Annual Giving goals.
- Attend and assist with the effective and efficient planning and execution of significant University events such as, but not limited to: football press box activities, donor dinners, Christmas at Malone, Homecoming and Parents’ Weekend, Commencement and various other events on and off campus.
- Collaborates with Development colleagues, especially the Coordinator of Constituency Information and the Director of Special Events and Donor Relations, to ensure timely and appropriate stewardship of targeted donors including mailing schedules and database accuracy for all solicitations.
- Maintains personal prospect tracking records in Raiser’s Edge and reports accurately and efficiently that information to the Director of Advancement Research & Foundation Grants. Makes recommendations for movement of assigned donors to major gift tracking.
- Collaborates with the Office for University Advancement to maintain current knowledge of philanthropic trends. Promotes a Culture of Philanthropy at Malone University, including work with the Office of Alumni and Parent Relations to implement joint programs.
- Working in conjunction with University Relations, lead efforts to create multi-channel marketing materials for the purpose of Annual Giving campaigns with a focus on identifying staff or faculty assistance to represent the depth of breadth of the Malone experience.
- Use Raiser’s Edge to access and track donor records.
- Continually strives to reflect the University’s Foundational Principles to co-workers and constituents.
- Fulfills other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must exhibit a personal understanding of, and operate in concert with the Mission statement and Foundational Principles of the University. A bachelor’s degree is required, master’s degree preferred. Five years of fundraising experience and a working knowledge of fundraising principles (i.e. moves management) are essential; experience in fundraising in higher education is preferred. Substantial weight will be given to candidates with a proven track record of having successfully managed an institutional Annual Giving Fund at an institution of higher education.
A proven ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing is essential. Proven effective relational skills are also required. A demonstrated ability to collaborate with a wide range of people and a demonstrated ability to efficiently and effectively solve problems and complete projects independently is essential. Computer literacy (Microsoft Office) is required, a readiness to navigate the Development database (Raiser’s Edge) is essential.
Possesses a knowledge of annual fund solicitation and fundraising techniques and procedures and donor relations and/or stewardship best practices. Ability to maintain high standards with the work being performed and maintain awareness with trends and influences. Assumes personal responsibility for all outcomes; makes effective and timely decisions. Maintains productivity and uses knowledge strategies to increase knowledge base. Ability to multi-task, observe deadlines, prioritize, and execute assignments with attention to detail with limited supervision.
Ability to work cooperatively with others and demonstrates professional, ethical, respectful, and courteous behavior when interacting with others. Capable of interacting pleasantly and positively with other to meet donor expectations, and provide follow up with constituents.
Ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality of sensitive materials is essential. Current valid driver’s license and availability for frequent regional travel is required. Hours per week are anticipated to vary based on the needs and fluctuations of the fundraising and events cycle. Evening, weekend and overnight commitments will be necessary at times.
How to Apply:
Send a cover letter, faith statement and resume with three references to the attention of the Associate VP, Human Resources and Facilities Management at email@example.com.
Malone University has an established policy of equal academic and employment opportunity. This policy is applied to all qualified students, employees and applicants for admission or employment, in all university programs and activities, without unlawful discrimination based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, disability, or military or veteran status. Malone University is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from women and minorities.