Student Account Specialist
About the position
Under the supervision of the Controller, the Student Account Specialist provides excellent customer service by successfully interacting with students, parents, faculty, and staff, in the collection and processing of tuition and all fees and other funds received by the University. This position provides accurate and helpful assistance to students, parents, and university employees and the general public by performing the following duties:
Essential Duties, Tasks, and Responsibilities
- Serves as the primary information source between students/parents in answering inquiries by telephone, mail, e-mail and in person. Researches and resolves student/parent issues concerning student account charges and credits. Counsels students and parents concerning tuition payment plans, charges and fees, and financial deadlines.
- Serves as the primary cashier. Accurately receipting, recording, refunding, and balancing all University receipts; balances daily cashier session and prepares daily deposit. Coordinates daily courier service.
- Create and post accurate cash receipt journal entries daily to student accounts or appropriate general ledger accounts in Jenzabar.
- Responsible for processing petty cash transactions. Reconciliation of the petty cash subsidiary monthly.
- Ensures security of University assets.
- Reviews and reconciles daily CashNet reports.
- Handle money exchange from reserve. Balance reserve weekly.
- Assist Student Account Coordinator with the accurate and timely generation and distribution of monthly student bills.
- Assist Student Account Coordinator with the review of student account credit balance notices as needed and refund students in a timely manner to be in compliance with federal guidelines via processing of A/P student refunds and generating E-Refunds.
- Assist Student Account Coordinator with the processing and audit of student account charges in collaboration with multiple university departments to assure accuracy.
- Assist Student Account Coordinator with the accurate processing of annual 1098-T forms.
- Generate invoices to third parties and monitor status of pending payments.
- Assist in the training and oversight of the Business Office student worker(s) with daily assignments and duties.
- Cross-train and back up in other areas of the Business Office including Student Account Coordinator, Accounts Receivable Coordinator, and Accounts Payable during vacations or illness.
- Answer University main switchboard line one day a week as assigned.
- Maintain and order Business Office supplies as needed.
- Scan and maintain various Business Office documents into paperless storage software (OnBase) timely and accurately.
- Process and distribute daily mail to the different Business Office departments.
- Complete special projects and other duties as assigned by the Controller or Vice President of Finance and Business Office Affairs.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Associates degree in finance, accounting or related area and/or minimum of two years of related experience. Knowledge of cashier functions and cash balancing procedures. Knowledge of basic accounts receivable principles and practices. Skill in using an integrated computer system; in performing standard mathematical computations; and has effective written and interpersonal communication. Ability to problem-solve and analyze data to resolve student concerns and other accounting concerns within the department. Ability to use 10-key calculator. Prior accounting experience very helpful. Proficient in Microsoft applications, such as Excel and Word.
This individual must have a pleasant working personality, be self-motivated, and be able to communicate succinctly with customers and co-workers.
How to Apply
Malone University has an established policy of equal academic and employment opportunity. This policy is applied to all qualified students, employees and applicants for admission or employment, in all university programs and activities, without unlawful discrimination based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, disability, or military or veteran status. Malone University is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from women and minorities.