Weekend Reference Librarian
Position: Weekend Reference Librarian
Starting Date: Fall 2017
About the position
Reporting to the Director of Library Services, the Weekend Reference Librarian provides reference services and supervises circulation, equipment, and building on weekends and selected evenings during the regular school year.
Essential duties, tasks, and responsibilities
- Provide reference service 7 to 9 hours per week, late August to early May.
- Provide bibliographic and information literacy instruction through individual assistance at the reference desk, online, and over the telephone.
- Open and close the library and supervise use of the building and equipment on Saturdays (usual hours are 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.).
- Assist library patrons who are using the library catalog, research databases, productivity software, and other library resources as needed.
- Supervise the student workers at the circulation desk on weekends and on weeknight hours if the circulation supervisor is away from the desk.
- Collaborate with the reference staff to continually develop skills.
- Report to and assume additional duties as requested by the Director of Library Services
This position requires strong communication skills and the ability to relate well to students and faculty. A bachelor’s degree plus experience in reference work or reference training from an ALA-accredited graduate library science program is expected. The M.L.I.S. or equivalent degree is desired. Successful candidates must be comfortable with common computer software such as Microsoft Office and must be willing to learn new technologies. Must be available to work Saturdays and preferably available for training or if needed on a weeknight. Employment at Malone University implies a commitment to Christian faith and the integration of faith and work.
- Cover letter
- Faith statement
- Resume with three references
Malone University has an established policy of equal academic and employment opportunity. This policy is applied to all qualified students, employees and applicants for admission or employment, in all university programs and activities, without unlawful discrimination based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, disability, or military or veteran status. Malone University is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from women and minorities.