Adjunct Instructor in Sociology
Position Title: Adjunct Instructor in Sociology
Starting Date: Spring 2021
About the Position:
Adjunct faculty are needed for the following courses:
- Introduction to Sociology: Sociology is the systematic study of society and group interaction; this course provides an introduction to the major theories, tools of inquiry, and areas of study within the discipline. Key figures within the sociological tradition are identified and their contribution to understanding the social world and human interaction assessed.
- Problems in Society: The nature and treatment of social problems such as race, population, crime, mental illness.
- Sociological Research Methods: Examines the methods sociologists use to study the social world. It compares the rationale behind the adopting of quantitative and qualitative research techniques. Special attention will be given to research design, sampling, data collection, and the ethnographic approach. The question of ethics within the research process will also be considered.
- Master’s degree in Sociology or a related field
- Strong commitment to general teaching excellence and academic rigor
- Subject-specific teaching experience desired
- Commitment to the Christian faith and the University’s mission, foundational principles, and educational goals
- Commitment to faith and learning in the academic discipline
About the Department
The department of History, Philosophy, and Social Sciences offers undergraduate majors in Criminal and Restorative Justice, History, Integrated Social Studies, Philosophy, and Political Science as well as minors in Criminal and Restorative Justice, History, Peace and Reconciliation, Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology.
How to Apply
Application materials should include:
- Adjunct Faculty Employment Application
- Letter of Interest
- Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of Christian Belief and Practice in response to the following prompt:
Malone University takes seriously the integration of the orthodox Christian faith and all academic disciplines and requires that faculty (full-time and adjunct) profess faith in Jesus Christ. Therefore, we ask that you provide a statement (250-500 words) in which you:
- Discuss your faith in relationship to the University’s Doctrinal Statement and Community Agreement.
- Describe your engagement with a local congregation or faith community.
- Names and contact information of three references (two professional, one pastor or spiritual mentor)
Transcripts will be requested if adjunct faculty employment is granted.
Send application materials to:
Chair, Department of History, Philosophy, and Social Sciences
2600 Cleveland Ave. NW
Canton, OH 44708
Malone University has an established policy of equal academic and employment opportunity. This policy is applied to all qualified students, employees and applicants for admission or employment, in all university programs and activities, without unlawful discrimination based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, disability, or military or veteran status. Malone University is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from women and minorities.