Director of Choral Activities: Assistant/Associate Professor of Music
Position: Assistant/Associate Professor of Music (Full-time, non tenure track)
Starting Date: August 2021
The Department of Music at Malone University seeks a collaborative and inspiring choral music artist/educator to serve as the Director of Choral Activities. The ideal candidate will possess the requisite musical experience to lead and further enhance a well-established collegiate choral music program. Candidates must possess a graduate degree (M.A., M.M.) in choral music but a terminal degree in music (D.M.A., Ph.D., Ed.D.) is preferred. Malone University values diversity amongst its faculty and strongly encourages applications from women and underrepresented groups, as we cast a broad net to identify the best mission-fit faculty colleague to lead our Malone University musicians.
- The normal teaching load is 12 credits per semester.
- Direct the Malone University Chorale, an auditioned 50-voice SATB choir that performs on- and off-campus, including our annual Christmas at Malone concert, as well as annual spring tours, both domestic and international.
- Direct the Malone University Chamber Choir-Amplified, a highly select ensemble of 8-12 voices.
- Teach undergraduate courses in related areas as determined by qualifications and department needs.
- Advise and mentor music majors.
- Oversee the Malone University Alumni Choir and Malone University Preparatory Program High School Honor Choir.
- Recruit Malone University students of all academic majors, who are interested in a choral ensemble experience.
- Engage in music specific research/scholarship.
- Serve on music unit and institutional committees.
- Master of Music, Master of Arts, or Master of Science in Music Education or Choral Music degree required. A terminal degree (D.M.A., Ph.D., Ed.D.) is preferred.
- A commitment to undergraduate teaching and mentoring, professional development, and scholarly research.
- Demonstrate a strong commitment to the Christian Faith and a commitment to the integration of faith and learning in the academic discipline.
- If applying at the associate professor level, the ideal candidate should meet the requirements for that rank while documenting at least six years of teaching experience at the assistant professor level.
About Malone University
Celebrating more than 125 years of higher education, Malone University is a Christian university for the arts, sciences, and professions in the liberal arts tradition. The University is affiliated with the Evangelical Friends Church – Eastern Region. The students, faculty and staff represent more than 40 denominations.
About the Department of Music:
The Department of Music provides students with the opportunity to pursue the Bachelor of Arts degree in Music and the Bachelor of Science degree in Music Education. Currently there is an enrollment of 34 music majors. A significant number of students from all degree programs are involved in music performance ensembles and private music instruction. The 2,240 square foot Murray Choral Rehearsal room is located in the recently renovated Johnson Center for Worship and the Fine Arts and is the designated rehearsal space for choral music. Our music programs are fully accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music.
Application materials should include:
- Completed Malone University faculty employment application form
- Letter of application
- Curriculum vitae
- Statement of Christian Belief and Practice in response to the following prompt: Malone University takes seriously the integration of the orthodox Christian faith and all academic disciplines and requires that faculty (full-time and adjunct) profess faith in Jesus Christ. Therefore, we ask that you provide a statement (750 words or fewer) in which you:
- Discuss your faith in relationship to the University’s Doctrinal Statement and Community Agreement.
- Describe your engagement with a local congregation or faith community.
- Statement of the integration of faith and learning in the academic discipline (750 words or fewer). The link provided here may help compose this statement:https://www.malone.edu/files/resources/faith-and-learning-at-malone.pdf
- Statement of teaching philosophy
- Names and contact information for three professional references.
Do not send videos or recordings at this time.
Send application materials to:
Dr. Greg J. Miller, Provost
2600 Cleveland Ave NW
Canton OH 44709-3897
Review of application materials will begin March 1, 2021 with priority given to materials received by that date. However, applications will be reviewed until the position is filled.
Malone University has an established policy of equal academic and employment opportunity. This policy is applied to all qualified students, employees and applicants for admission or employment, in all university programs and activities, without unlawful discrimination based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, disability, or military or veteran status. Malone University is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from women and minorities.