Assistant/Associate Professor of Sociology/Criminal Justice
Position: Assistant/Associate Professor of Sociology/Criminal and Restorative Justice, Tenure Track
Starting date: August 2021
The Department of History, Philosophy, and Social Sciences at Malone University invites applications for a tenure-track position of Assistant/Associate Professor, to begin August 2021. The successful candidate will have a Ph.D. in sociology, criminal justice, or a related field and an active research/scholarship agenda. The candidate should have a strong commitment to teaching and experience of working within a Christian liberal arts college setting. The ideal candidate will be required to teach an “introduction to sociology” course as well as courses on research methods, gender, inequality, and courses within Malone University’s undergraduate program in Criminal and Restorative Justice. A familiarity with the field of criminal justice/criminology/restorative justice (broadly defined) is preferred for this position. Malone University is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from women and minorities.
- The normal teaching load is 12 credits per semester.
- The successful candidate will teach a variety of courses in Sociology and the Criminal and Restorative Justice major.
- Advise and mentor students.
- Engage in scholarship and community service.
- Serve on departmental & institutional committees.
- Oversee and administer the Criminal and Restorative Justice major.
- Ph.D. in Sociology, Criminology/Criminal Justice, or related field.
- Strong commitment to undergraduate teaching and mentoring, professional development and scholarly research.
- Research agenda that can provide opportunities for undergraduate involvement.
- Commitment to the Christian Faith and a commitment to the integration of faith and learning in the academic discipline.
- Ability to teach within restorative justice and peace traditions – and especially within the Christian tradition.
- If applying at the associate professor level, the candidate must meet the requirements for that rank – and specifically should have at least 6 years of teaching experience at the assistant level and should also have an established research program.
About Malone University
Celebrating more than 125 years of higher education, Malone University is a Christian university for the arts, sciences, and professions in the liberal arts tradition. The University is affiliated with the Evangelical Friends Church – Eastern Region. The students, faculty and staff represent more than 40 denominations.
About the Department of History, Philosophy and Social Sciences
The Department of History, Philosophy and Social Sciences is an interdisciplinary department that houses programs in History, Political Science, Sociology (minor), Integrated Social Studies and in Criminal and Restorative Justice.
Application materials should include:
- Completed Malone University faculty employment application form
- Letter of application
- Curriculum vitae
- Statement of Christian Belief and Practice in response to the following prompt: Malone University takes seriously the integration of the orthodox Christian faith and all academic disciplines and requires that faculty (full-time and adjunct) profess faith in Jesus Christ. Therefore, we ask that you provide a statement (750 words or fewer) in which you:
- Discuss your faith in relationship to the University’s Doctrinal Statement and Community Agreement.
- Describe your engagement with a local congregation or faith community.
- Statement of the integration of faith and learning in the academic discipline (750 words or fewer)
- Names and contact information for three professional references
- Statement of teaching philosophy
- Research statement
Application materials should be submitted to:
Gregory J. Miller, Provost
2600 Cleveland Ave NW
Canton OH 44709-3897
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Review of applications will begin on January 15, 2021, with priority given to materials received by that date. However, applications will be reviewed until the position is filled.
Malone University has an established policy of equal academic and employment opportunity. This policy is applied to all qualified students, employees and applicants for admission or employment, in all university programs and activities, without unlawful discrimination based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, disability, or military or veteran status. Malone University is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from women and minorities.