Veteran Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
I am eligible for VA benefits under GI Bill: Chapters 30, 32, 33, 1606 and 1607, so:
Q. How do I begin the educational benefit process once I have applied to a Malone program?
A. During the admissions process:
- Turn in your DD214 to your admissions counselor.
- Turn in an official copy of your Joint Services Transcript (JST).
- Turn in your certificate of eligibility, if applicable (the new GI bill).
- Research your federal and state benefits. You may qualify for more than one type of benefit. Contact the Federal Veterans Administration at 1.888.442.4551 or visit the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website.
Q. Once I am admitted to Malone, how do I continue the educational benefit process?
A. After being admitted to Malone:
If you have not used your GI Bill benefits before:
- Complete and submit an Application for Education Benefits Form, 22-1990 to the VA. You may be required to provide DD214 or DD2384 when you submit your original application.
If you have used your GI Bill benefits before but are attending Malone for the first time:
- Complete and submit a Request for Change of Program or Place of Training Form, 22-1995 to the VA. Be sure to print a copy and turn it in to your admissions counselor.
If you have used your GI Bill benefits before and attended Malone the previous semester:
- You will not need to submit another Application for Education Benefits to the VA.
If you have used your GI Bill benefits before and are re-admitted to Malone:
- It is your responsibility to contact Gary Phelps, your School Certifying Official (SCO), to reinstate your benefits upon returning to Malone.
Q. I have additional questions. Who should I contact?
A. For additional questions, please contact Gary Phelps, the School Certifying Official (SCO). Gary can be reached via phone at 330-471-8127 or via email at email@example.com. Appointments can be scheduled as needed.
Q. I dropped or added hours to my original schedule, or I changed my major/program. Who do I contact?
A. It is your responsibility to contact Gary Phelps, your SCO, if you change your major, change from full-time to part-time status or vice-versa, or withdraw for a full term and want to reinstate your benefits upon returning to Malone.
Q. Where is payment sent?
A. The Veterans Administration determines payments. Malone can only certify enrollment. All payment questions should be directed to your VA representative.
Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33), tuition and applicable fee payments are sent directly to Malone. Other allowances are sent directly to student. Payments are made "in arrears," meaning that the housing stipend for January is not received until February and from actual day you started school that semester.
Q. How do I review my status?
A. To obtain status of your education claim, call the Education Call Center at 1.888.442.4551 or send an electronic inquiry via the GI Bill website under "Submit a Question."
You are encouraged to sign up for a basic account with eBenefits in order to view your eligibility and other benefits. Start here.