Future Scientists of Malone
Future Scientists of Malone is a club that is open to all science majors regardless of GPA and discipline. FSM fosters relationships among students in a relaxed atmosphere. Field trips, community outreach, and activities vary depending on the interests of current members.
- Birding in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park
- Field trip to cadaver lab
- Preparing relief packages for Haiti
- Game night with pizza
- Care packages for finals week (this is our main fundraiser)
Malone’s Pre-Professional Club was established to assist students who are planning to pursue further education at professional schools. Semi-monthly meetings help students navigate through what can be a complicated application process, present updates in medical literature, and host guest speakers from various professional schools.
Sigma Zeta is a national undergraduate honor society to encourage and foster the attainment of knowledge in the natural and computer sciences and mathematics and to recognize the attainment of high scholarship among society members.
Zoological Organization of Malone (ZOOM)
ZOOM is a student club open to students from any major who are interested in animals. We host regular speakers from a variety of animal-related professions, offer group trips to zoos and other centers, and meet for game and movie nights. We also volunteer with local organizations and raise funds for local and international conservation efforts.
- Guest speaker Dr. Lynn Courter, mixed animal veterinarian
- Visit to Healing Waters to observe a dog water therapy session
- Guest speaker Dr. Kim Cook, Akron Zoo veterinarian
- Overnight trip to Cincinnati Zoo, including a behind-the-scenes tour and a night in the manatee exhibit
- Volunteering with Peace for Pets - building winter cat shelters
- Trip to Akron Zoo, including a question and answer session with a senior keeper
- Movie and game nights
We have also raised more than $200 for cancer research, as well as funds to adopt a baby Sumatran rhino (the first born in captivity in Asia in nearly 125 years) and to support Rhino Protection Units in Sumatra.