Biology-Clinical Laboratory Science, BA
If you want to someday work in a hospital laboratory - or clinic, commercial lab, scientific supply company, or research laboratory - this is the path for you.
Medical technologists are in high demand. They test samples of blood and body fluids to determine whether a disease is present, or if someone is responding to treatment. Learn more below!
"I really never have a boring day at work..."
- Dustin Grimm' 08
Forensic Chemist, American Institute of Toxicology
The Biology-Clinical Laboratory Science major is offered in a partnership between Malone University and either the Cooperative Medical Technology Program of Akron (Akron Children's Hospital, Akron General Medical Center, and Summa Health System Hospitals) OR the Cleveland Clinic School of Medical Technology.
You'll take 90 hours of coursework at Malone (through your junior year), then the rest of your classes through one of the above institutions (per acceptance). After you complete the program, you will have earned both a bachelor of arts degree at the Malone commencement and a certificate of completion from the respective medical technology program. The next step is to take national certification exams offered by the American Society of Clinical Pathologists Board of Registry (ASCP) and the National Certification Agency for Medical Laboratory Personnel (NCA).
The required major courses are:
- BIOL 131 - Human Anatomy and Physiology I
- BIOL 132 - Human Anatomy and Physiology II
- BIOL 144 - General Biology I
- BIOL 145 - General Biology II
- BIOL 200 - General Botany
- BIOL 253 - Invertebrate Zoology
- BIOL 254 - Vertebrate Zoology
- BIOL 313 - Principles of Immunology
- BIOL 371 - Microbiology
- BIOL 372 - Genetics
- CHEM 131 - General Chemistry I
- CHEM 132 - General Chemistry II
- CHEM 201 - Stewardship and Safety in Chemical Practice
- CHEM 221 - Organic Chemistry I
- CHEM 374 - Biochemistry I
- MATH 140 - Introduction to Statistics
- MATH 150 - Precalculus