Frequently Asked Questions
How do I access my online courses?
You will use a learning management system called Moodle for your online coursework. To access your courses, please login to your personal account via the Malone University Online Campus: www.malone.edu/online using your Malone login credentials, enter your username and password at the top of the page.
How can I be successful as a Malone online student?
Here are a few tips on how to make the most of your online experience:
- Be self-motivated and self-disciplined. With the freedom and flexibility of the online environment comes responsibility. The online process takes a real commitment and discipline to keep up with the course material.
- Be able to commit the same amount of time to an online course as you would a traditional course. Online courses are not easier than traditional courses.
- Be willing to share your experiences with others. Many of the online activities you will engage in will require you to integrate course material and your life experiences.
- Be willing to engage in meaningful and quality discussion. Discussion is an essential component of the online learning environment. The testing and challenging of ideas is encouraged; you will not always be right, just be prepared to accept a challenge.
- Be prepared to communicate through writing. Virtually all of the communication that you will engage in will require you to express yourself in writing.
- The online learning process is accelerated and requires commitment on the student's part. Staying up with the class and completing all work on time is vital. Once a student gets behind, it is almost impossible to catch up. Essentially, the student needs to want to be there, and needs to want the experience.
- Commit to staying in communication with an online advisor who can help you navigate your experience as an online student.
Can I transfer credits?
Yes. The amount of credits you can transfer differs by program. Please check the page for the program you plan on applying to for specific details.
How do I communicate with my adviser, instructor, and classmates?
Malone Online emphasizes communication between students, their peers, and their instructors. Communication is facilitated by online discussion, email, online chat rooms, and whiteboards. These tools offer the ability for students to communicate with their professors, work on group projects, view documents, and otherwise collaborate.
What are the expectations of an online student?
The same course demands and academic standards that are required in a classroom can be found in an online course. Just as in a traditional classroom, students are provided a course syllabus, which outlines a schedule of study and deadlines for assignments.
Is financial aid available?
Yes. Financial aid is largely contingent on you filling out a FAFSA. For more information on financial aid, please visit our financial aid page.
How do I apply to Malone?
Applying to Malone is easy. You’ll need to fill out an application, submit official transcripts, and check the program you plan to apply for specific application requirements.
How do I register for a course?
Registration can be completed through MaloneXpress. New students should contact their admissions counselor for assistance and current students should contact their adviser.
How do I use Moodle?
We have created an orientation course to take before you begin your academic program. You may start this course at any time by logging onto www.malone.edu/online. Once you access your personal account, you will see a term name highlighted in gray called Special Courses. Under the term name, you will see the Next Student Orientation Tutorial. Click on the blue link to enter the course.
Do I have to log onto the online learning system at a specific time?
Malone’s online courses are delivered with flexibility in mind. Therefore, you are not required to be online at a specific time of day. However, all online courses do require that work be completed within a particular time frame. It is recommended that you access your course daily in order to engage with the learning material, participate in online discussions, and complete assignments and exams.
How long will it take for me to complete my program?
Earning your degree online means you can choose the completion time that’s right for you. The time it will take you to graduate depends largely on program requirements, transfer credits, and your level of commitment as a part-time or full-time student.
When will I be able to access my courses?
Courses are available one week prior to the start date. This allows students an opportunity to review the syllabus and plan their term.