Share the printed word with the world
The Professional Writing and Editing program channels the reading-writing-thinking-exploring that happens in English studies directly into career preparation. As a humanities degree it cultivates our empathy, creativity, thoughtfulness, and facility with language. As a pre-professional degree it also immerses students in editorial production, multimodal communication, audience and purpose-driven writing, workplace experience, and the Chicago Manual of Style. It allows students to customize the focus of their curriculum as they prepare to serve effectively in the workplace.
This is also an ideal second major for business or professional students who want to enhance their writing and communication skills, and for majors in English, Creative Writing, or other humanities degree who want to add more explicit career preparation to their studies at Malone.
Why study Professional Writing and Editing at Malone?
- Begin your studies with a hands-on exploration of the power of language, including a literary retreat and interaction with our local community.
- Meet and learn directly from local writers and editors in classes and required internships.
- Complement your language skills by developing ancillary skills of a well-rounded writing and editing professional, such as marketing, institutional rhetoric, and digital arts.
- Grow your storytelling imagination in creative writing classes and in literature classes that emphasize the contemporary resonance of authors and their traditions.
- Become part of a supportive community of peers who hang out in our student lounge. Participate in the Writers Guild and English Honors Society. Take part in small classes with high levels of student participation.
- Develop personal working relationships with faculty who are dedicated to helping you find your path as an expert in language.
What can I do with this degree?
Effective written communication is crucial in today's workplace, both in organizations that deal in language (e.g. publishing houses, magazines), and in any organization that needs to market, explain, and inspire through writing.
- Technical Writer
- Content Writer
- Grant Writer
- Social Media
- Public Relations