Chair, Department of Bible, Theology, and Ministry, Associate Professor of Biblical Studies
B.A., magna cum laude, University of Minnesota
M.Div., Asbury Theological Seminary
Ph.D., University of Durham
ExperienceAssociate Professor of Biblical Studies, Malone University, 2009-present
Assistant Professor of Biblical Studies, Malone University, 2004-2009
Ordained Deacon in the United Methodist Church (East Ohio Annual Conference)
Recent Scholarly Work
- "Subverting Texts, Subverting Power: Luke's Rewriting of Amos in Acts 15:16-17." Paper presented at the Rewriting in Luke and Acts conference in Roskilde, Denmark, June 2014.
- Respondent to Niels Willert's paper, "Luke's Portrait of Jesus and the Political Authorities in his Passion Narrative: A Rewriting of the Passion Narratives of the Other Gospels," at the Rewriting in Luke and Acts conference in Roskilde, Denmark, June 2014.
- "Mercy." Pages 584-588 in Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels. rev. ed. Downers Grove: IVP Academic, 2013.
- Dynamic Oneness: The Significance and Flexibility of Paul’s One-God Language. Eugene, OR: Pickwick, 2010.
- Panelist, J. Arthur Heck Lectures, United Theological Seminary, Dayton, OH, April 2010. Reviewed Craig A. Evans' Fabricating Jesus: How Modern Scholars Distort the Gospels.
- "Predicting Heresy: Paul's Rationale in 1 Cor 15:24-28." Paper presented at the Society of Biblical Literature Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA, November 2009.
- Review of William M. Greathouse, Romans 1-8 and Romans 9-16. New Beacon Bible Commentary. Wesleyan Theological Journal 46 (2011): 212-214.
- Review of Stephen Westerholm, Perspectives Old and New on Paul: The 'Lutheran' Paul and His Critics. Scottish Journal of Theology 60 (2007): 495-497.
Teaching AssignmentsIntroduction to the Bible
The New Testament
Gospel of Luke
Acts of the Apostles
New Testament Greek
Communicating the Christian Faith
Dr. Nicholson is married to Lee, a youth pastor, and they have two children.