Protect against Viruses and Spyware
Every student is responsible to ensure that his/her computer is amply protected and suitable for use on the campus-wide network. With increasing risks of virus attacks and spyware intrusion, it is extremely important to prepare your computer before connecting to the network.
Please use the following checklist to ensure your computer is ready to be connected to the Malone network:
Protecting your Operating System:
Install the latest Windows Updates http://www.windowsupdate.com/
Enable Windows Auto Update
Enable Windows Firewall* (for Windows XP users)
Install and update Antivirus software
NOTE: To maintain optimum functionality of your computer, only one AntiVirus software package should be installed on your computer.
The following are two free, recommended options:
Clear the browser cache and Local Settings Temp
Viruses often like to hide in these directories and most virus protection software does not detect them.
1. Close all running instances of Internet Explorer and all browser windows.
2. Click Start, Select Control Panel, click Internet Options
3. Click the General tab, and then click Clear History
4. Click Yes, and then click OK to close the Internet Options dialog box
Delete infected System Restore points
For Windows XP users:
*Do this only if your AV package has found a virus in one of the system restore point
To delete all restore points, infected or otherwise, except the latest one, use the Disk Cleanup utility.
1. Click Start, select All Programs, select Accessories, choose System Tools, and then Disk Cleanup.
2. Click on the More options tab, then select Clean up in the System Restore dialog box.
Install a Spyware removal tool to scan for and remove any spyware that is found on your computer.
The following are two recommended options: