Communication Arts at Malone University
Communication drives our world. Skilled communicators thrive in the marketplace. Built upon the framework of the five most sought after employment skills in both for profit and nonprofit arenas, you will master a skill set focused on effective speaking, strong and clear writing, teamwork and collaboration, critical thinking and problem solving, and work ethic and professionalism.
As a Communication Arts major you can concentrate in:
Theatre, Film, and Media
Regardless of your concentration, your training features a unique blending of these areas.
In a world of technological revolutions, in a world of buyouts and mergers, in a world where work patterns and habits which shift regularly and radically, we believe that students need to have flexible, elastic training. Most people shift jobs, locations, and careers multiple times in their work life; having a base of skills that build on your natural gifts is the kind of education that readies you for LIFE, not just a job.
What will I study?
Set in the context of a solid liberal arts education, the Communication Arts program provides a foundation for making sense of the world and addressing it effectively.
Our faculty members are committed to knowing students, being available to students, and learning from students. From in-class projects to co-curricular involvement, we stress the importance and value of collaborating with others in all context of communication. This commitment to each other prepares you to serve the broader communities of which you’ll be a part of after you leave Malone. Small classes and interaction between students and faculty are one of the things our students consistently point to as something they love about the Communication Arts Department.
Interesting Classes I’ll Take
• Web Design and Social Media
• Public Relations: Crises & Campaigns
(See full curriculum...)
• Open Frame Student Film Festival
• 24 Hour Theatre
• Theatre: 10 Minute Play Festival
• Broadcast Club
• Chancel Players
• Malone Comedy (improv sketches)
• Study off-campus with one of the Best Semester programs in Washington DC, Los Angeles, Nashville, China, India, Oxford, Uganda, Australia, Latin America, or the Middle East.
Jobs our alumni have reflect the flexibility and breadth of our training. Positions include:
• Television host for PBS
• Public relations Director, Pregnancy Support Center
• Development executive at Akron Children’s Hospital
• Communications coordinator at Habitat for Humanity
• Sportswriter, Youngstown Vindicator
• News Anchor/Reporter at WZTV Fox 17 News
• Talent agent in Nashville
• Software developer at Google
• Social media manager, Akron-Canton Airport
• Editor/filmmaker, Los Angeles
• College professors at Bluffton, Kent State, The Ohio State, and other universities
View our 24-Hour Theatre video: