Historical Timeline

On March 17, 1892, the doors to Northeastern Ohio's first Bible institute and training school opened. The day is the realization of a dream of J. Walter and Emma Malone.

125 years later, Malone is a thriving Christian University for the arts, sciences, and professions dedicated to the integration of Christian faith and learning in the liberal arts tradition.

Timeline of major events

Founding & cleveland years

  • 1857 J. Walter Malone was born. 
  • 1859 Emma Brown was born. 
  • 1886 J. Walter Malone married Emma Brown. 
  • 1887 J. Walter Malone was recorded as a “Minister of the Gospel.” 
  • 1892 Emma Brown Malone was recorded as a “Minister of the Gospel.”
  • 1892 – Date of founding. First classes on East Prospect (Carnegie) Avenue near Thirtieth Street, Cleveland.
  • 1897 – Institute moved into new complex at 3219 Cedar Avenue, Cleveland.
  • 1899 – Incorporated as Friends Bible Institute and Training School. (Gradually became known as Cleveland Bible Institute.)
  • 1937 – Name changed to Cleveland Bible College. Authorized to award collegiate degree of Bachelor of Theology.
  • 1945 – College moved to 3201 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland.
  • 1948 – Charter member of the Accrediting Association of Bible Institutes and Bible Colleges. Bachelor of Religious Education and Bachelor of Sacred Music became the degrees for the four-year programs. Bachelor of Theology became a five-year degree.
  • 1956 – Name changed to Malone College. Decision to move to Canton and enlarge curriculum to include liberal arts and teacher education.

Malone comes to Canton

  • 1957 – Canton campus opened and liberal arts program established; Main Building original complex, plus Fox Hall.
  • 1957 – Men’s Basketball began as Malone’s first intercollegiate sport.
  • 1958 – Approved by State of Ohio Department of Education to offer courses and programs leading to Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science in Education degrees, effective with class of 1961.
  • 1958 – Became a member college of the North Central Association Liberal Arts Study.
  • 1958 – Membership granted in Council for the Advancement of Small Colleges.
  • 1959 – College seal approved. The University motto, “Christ’s Kingdom First” appears in Latin — Regnum Christi Primum — with the symbolic open Bible, dove, and lamp.
  • 1960 – Osborne Hall completed.
  • 1960 – “Pioneers” chosen by student senate as nickname for athletics teams. 
  • 1961 – Timken Science Hall built.
  • 1961 – Men’s Track and Field began as intercollegiate sport.
  • 1962 – Penn Hall completed and occupied.
  • 1962 – Became associate member of the Ohio College Association.
  • 1962 – North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools (NCA) granted “candidate-for-membership” status.
  • 1962 – Men’s Cross Country, Golf, and Tennis added as intercollegiate sports.
  • 1963 – Ohio State University gave full value to transcript of record for undergraduate or graduate purposes.
  • 1963 – Men’s Baseball added as intercollegiate sport.
  • 1964 – Gurney Hall and Whittier Hall completed.
  • 1964 – Accreditation received from the North Central Association and full membership in the Ohio College Association.
  • 1964 – One-half million dollar endowment received from the Timken Foundation in recognition of accreditation.
  • 1965 – Woolman Hall completed.
  • 1966 – Faculty Office Building with new dining hall and office areas created as extension of Main Building.
  • 1966 – Men’s Soccer added as intercollegiate sport.
  • 1967 – Additional land donated by the Timken Foundation.
  • 1967 – Women’s Basketball added as first women’s intercollegiate sport.
  • 1969 – Golfer Ken Hyland became first NAIA National Champion.

1970 – 89

  • 1970 – Barclay Hall and new Maintenance Building completed.
  • 1971 – Completion of The Everett L. Cattell Library building.
  • 1971 – Charter Membership in the Christian College Consortium.
  • 1971 – Men’s Wrestling added as intercollegiate sport.
  • 1972 – NAIA National Champions: Men’s Cross Country.
  • 1973 – New Front Entrance and Circle Drive completed.
  • 1974 – Ten-year re-accreditation received from the North Central Association.
  • 1975 – Early Childhood Education program began and Child Development Center opened.
  • 1975 – Women’s Volleyball added as intercollegiate sport.
  • 1976 – Faculty Exchange Program with Hong Kong Baptist College announced; first exchange, Fall 1977.
  • 1976 – Women’s Tennis added as intercollegiate sport.
  • 1977 – Completion and dedication of Barn/Campus Center.
  • 1979 – Initiated Graduate Program in Education in cooperation with Ashland College; first 2-year sequence of courses began Fall 1980.
  • 1979 – Women’s Track and Field added as intercollegiate sport.
  • 1981 – Name changed from Barn/Campus Center to Randall Campus Center.
  • 1982 – Program for under-prepared college students established.
  • 1982 – Child Development Center named Weaver Child Development Center in honor of Howard Weaver, M.D.
  • 1982 – Women’s Cross Country added as intercollegiate sport.
  • 1984 – Ten-year re-accreditation received from the North Central Association.
  • 1984 – Social Work Program received accreditation from the Council on Social Work Education.
  • 1984 – First cohort of Malone College Management Program (MCMP) students began classes.
  • 1987 – Approved by the Ohio Board of Regents and the North Central Association to offer the Management Program at two off-campus locations.
  • 1987 – Approved by Ohio Board of Regents, the Ohio Board of Nursing Education and Nurse Registration and the North Central Association to offer a program leading to the Bachelor of Science in Nursing.
  • 1987 – Timken Science Building remodeled and air-conditioned with a $250,000 gift from the Timken Foundation.
  • 1989 – Timken Annex (temporary modular building) added.
  • 1989 – Approved by the Ohio Board of Regents to offer the Master of Arts in Education degree with Cores in Curriculum and Instruction or Reading.

1990 – 99

  • 1990 – Approved by the North Central Association for the Master of Arts in Education program.
  • 1991 – Approved by the Ohio Board of Regents and the Ohio State Department of Education to add two new cores to the Master of Arts in Education Program: Early Childhood and Early Childhood Special Education.
  • 1991 – Approved by the Ohio Board of Regents to offer the Master of Arts in Christian Ministries degree.
  • 1992 – College Hill Residence Suites opened.
  • 1992 – Centennial celebrated; activities included Malone runners carrying the torch from Cleveland to Canton with the unveiling of ‘Malone Parkway’ (section of Route 62).
  • 1992 – Approved by the North Central Association for the Master of Arts in Christian Ministries Program; first class held.
  • 1992 – BSN program accredited by the National League for Nursing.
  • 1992 – Women’s Softball added as intercollegiate sport.
  • 1993 – Student lip-syncing competition, Airband, kicked off. 
  • 1993 – Heritage Hall Residence opened.
  • 1993 – Football began as an intercollegiate sport.
  • 1994 – First Malone Pioneer Spirit Marching Band took the field.
  • 1994 – Classrooms, offices, and Campus Bookstore opened in Brehme Centennial Center.
  • 1994 – First cohort of BSN degree-completion students began.
  • 1994 – Herbert W. Hoover courtyard was completed.
  • 1994 – Ten-year re-accreditation received from the North Central Association.
  • 1995 – Ten-year reauthorization received from the Ohio Board of Regents.
  • 1995 – Office of Multicultural Services established.
  • 1995 – “Into the Streets” community service projects incorporated into Freshman Orientation Program.
  • 1996 – Approval of adapted Malone College Alma Mater, originally written by music students in 1968.
  • 1997 – Received the 1996 Award of Appreciation from the Canton Regional Chamber of Commerce.
  • 1997 – Piano Extravaganza held at Palace Theater for the first time.
  • 1997 – The first MBA degrees were granted to 14 graduates.
  • 1997 – Women’s Soccer added as intercollegiate sport.
  • 1998 – Worldview Forum program established.
  • 1998 – Emma Malone posthumously inducted into the YWCA Stark County Women’s Hall of Fame.
  • 1998 – Listed in Templeton’s Character Building Colleges.
  • 1999 – Haviland Hall, Mitchell Hall, and Silk Auditorium opened.
  • 1999 – CCCU Division II Forensics Religious National Championship.
  • 1999 – NAIA National Champions: Women’s Cross Country.

2000 – 09

  • 2000 – NAIA National Champions: Men’s Golf.
  • 2000 – Women’s Golf added as intercollegiate sport.
  • 2000 – Reclassified by Carnegie Foundation from BA-II to MA-I.
  • 2000 – First Honors Program students admitted.
  • 2000 – First Homecoming Dance held.
  • 2001 – Reorganization of undergraduate and graduate programs into schools with deans.
  • 2001 – CCCU Division II Forensics Religious National Championship.
  • 200 Pi Kappa Delta Fraternity Novice Parliamentary Debate National Championship.
  • 2002 – Ohio Board of Regents authorized the Master of Science in Nursing program.
  • 2002 – Homecoming Chapel featured granddaughters of J. Walter and Emma Malone: Betty Osborne Robinson and Gerri Osborne Williams.
  • 2002 – Malone Athletics placed fifth in Sears Directors’ Cup (all-sports) for NAIA schools.
  • 2002 – Initial accreditation granted to the School of Business by the International Assembly for Collegiate Business Education (IACBE).
  • 2003 – SIFE team (Students in Free Enterprise) captured Regional Rookie of the Year, Regional Champion, and National Rookie of the Year awards.
  • 2003 – Receipt of $8-million gift to the College endowment.
  • 2003 – Signing of option to purchase First Christian Church for $6 million.
  • 2003 – Identity and Mission Statement, Educational Goals adopted.
  • 2004 – Ten-year re-accreditation received from the North Central Association.
  • 2004 – The first MSN degrees were granted to 12 graduates.
  • 2004 – Completion and dedication of Wellness Center.
  • 2005 – Accreditation granted to the School of Nursing by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) for BSN and MSN programs. 
  • 2005 – SIFE team (Students in Free Enterprise) named USA Regional Champion.
  • 2005 – Approval granted by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC/NCA) to offer the Management degree (MCMP) online.
  • 2005 – Center for Professional Development established by the School of Education.
  • 2005 – Foundational Principles adopted.
  • 2006 – Forensics team captured first place in Division III at the National Christian College Forensics Invitational.
  • 2006 – Brehme North Entrance/Conference Center addition completed.
  • 2006 – College Hill Residence Hall rededicated as DeVol Hall, named in honor of Mary Elizabeth French DeVol, Friends missionary to China. 
  • 2006 – Took possession of First Christian Church building and nine acres of property. 
  • 2007 – First Christian Church renamed as The Ronald G. and Marjorie L. Johnson Center for Worship and the Fine Arts.
  • 2007 – Groundbreaking for Blossom Hall Residence.
  • 2007 – NAIA National Champions: Men’s Cross Country.
  • 2008 – Board of Trustees voted unanimously to change the name of the institution to Malone University.
  • 2008 – Teacher Education program received effective status approval (highest level) from the Ohio Department of Education.
  • 2008 – NAIA National Champions: Men’s Cross Country.
  • 2009 – The Graduate School and the School of Continuing Studies merged into the School of Graduate and Professional Studies.
  • 2009 – Renovation and upgrade to the Hoover Dining Commons, including new entrance and exit and relocation of Froggy’s Café.
  • 2009 – NAIA National Champions: Men’s Cross Country.
  • 2009 – Men’s and Women’s Swimming and Diving added as intercollegiate sport.

2010 – present

  • 2010 – Approval of Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership; first classes start Fall Semester.
  • 2010 – Received approval for National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Division II provisional membership.
  • 2010 – School of Business awarded initial accreditation for the business programs from ACBSP (Association of Collegiate Business Schools and Programs).
  • 2010 – Teacher education program accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of  Teacher Education (NCATE).
  • 2011 – Took possession of 9 acres of land and the building that was formerly owned by Temple Israel.
  • 2012 – Accreditation granted by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP) for the graduate programs in Clinical Mental Health Counseling and School Counseling.
  • 2013 – Ten-year re-accreditation received from the Higher Learning Commission. 
  • 2013 – Athletics teams officially began competing in NCAA Division II.
  • 2014 – Cattell Library became the home of the Saint John’s Bible Heritage Edition, a modern illuminated Bible.
  • 2014 – Academic Summer Camp program established. 
  • 2015 – Granted associate membership in National Association of Schools of Music (NASM).
  • 2016 – “A Bolder Future” capital campaign launched.
  • 2016 – Receipt of $1-million gift for music programs.