Ebenézer (Eb) A. de Oliveira
Inspired by Vygotsky, I think of my role as one of a “mediator” of student learning. Together, students and I engage "cultural tools" to co-construct knowledge and understanding, and resolve problems. In practice, this is especially true in collaborative efforts, as I team up with students and former students to conduct research, participate in seminar-style discussions, or reach out to serve others in course field trips or MU sponsored service-learning travels. However, I often also find myself taking the more traditional role of a lecturer in Malone’s classrooms.
- Ph.D. in Applied Human Development, University of Delaware, DE, USA
- M.A. in School Psychology, University of Delaware, DE, USA
- M.A. in Religion/Counseling, Westminster Theological Seminary, PA, USA
- Part-time studies in psychology, Temple University, PA, USA
- BS in Bible/Counseling, Cairn University, PA, USA
- BTh in Theology, Seminário Presbiteriano do Norte, Recife, PE, Brazil
- Jan 2001-present - Department of Psychology, Malone University, OH, USA; current rank: Professor
- 2007-present - AP Psychology Reader, College Board/Educational Testing Services
- 1998-2000 - Associate Professor of Psychology, Universidade Federal de Santa Maria, Brazil
- 1998 - Visiting Professor, Centro de Pós-Graduação Andrew Jumper, Universidade Mackenzie, SP, Brazil
- 1997 - Doctoral Research Fellow, University of Delaware, DE, USA
- 1995-1997 - Part-time instructor, University of Delaware, DE, USA
- 1995-1996 - Research Assistant, University of Delaware, DE, USA
- 1993-1995, 1997 - Teaching Assistant, University of Delaware, DE, USA
- 1983-85, 1987-90 - Assistant Pastor, Igreja Presbiteriana de Fortaleza, CE, Brazil
Recent Scholarly Work
- de Oliveira, E. (in press). O papel da empatia na creche brasileira [The role of empathy in the Brazilian daycare system]. In V. M. R. de Vasconcellos, K. Seabra & C. A. Piccinini (Eds.), Bebês em foco: Contribuições da psicologia do desenvolvimento para educadores/profissionais de educação infantil [Babies on focus: Contributions of developmental psychology to educators/professionals in early childhood education.
- de Oliveira, E., & Jackson, E. (2016). The moderation role of self-perceived maternal empathy in observed mother-child collaborative problem solving. Manuscript accepted for publication with minor revisions.
- de Oliveira, E. A., Ables, J. N., & Dingler, M. L. (2012). Capítulo 16: Empatia parental [Chapter 16: Parental empathy]. In C. A. Piccinini and P. Alvarenga (Eds.), Maternidade e paternidade: A parentalidade em diferentes contextos [Maternity and paternity: Parenting in diverse contexts] (pp. 391-408). São Paulo, Brazil: Casa do Psicólogo.
- Alvarenga, P., de Oliveira, E. A., & Dazzani, M. V. (2011). Can attribution of a neutral emotional state in child discipline play an adaptive role in child internalizing behavior? Early Child Development and Care, 181, 967-976. doi: 10.1080/03004430.2010.507866
- de Oliveira, E. A. (2011). Conversando com crianças sobre violência: Dicas para pais e professores. Adaptation and translation from English into Portuguese of Talking to children about violence: Tips for parents and teachers, NASP Crisis Resources Series, National Association of School Psychologists. Bethesda, MD.
- de Oliveira, E. A., & Braun, J. L. (2009). “Jesus didn’t need a shrink”: A critique of anti-psychological biblical sufficiency. Journal of Psychology and Christianity, 28, 13-21.
- de Oliveira, E. A., Braun, J. L., Carlson, T. L., & de Oliveira, S. G. (2009). Students’ attitudes toward foreign-born and domestic instructors. Journal of Diversity in Higher Education, 2, 113-125. doi: 10.1037/a0015746.
- de Oliveira, E. A., Marin, A. H., Long, J., Solinger, S. (2007). Observando a díade pai/mãe-criança em situação co-construtiva [Observing the father/mother-child dyad in a co-constructive situation]. In C. A. Piccinini and M. L. S. de Moura (Eds.), Observando as interações pais-bebê/criança [Observing the parents-baby/child interaction] (pp. 213-236). São Paulo, SP, Brazil: Casa do Psicólogo.
- de Oliveira, E. A., Barros, F. C., Anselmi, L. D. S., & Piccinini, C. A. (2006). The quality of home environment in Brazil: an ecological model. Journal of Child and Family Studies, 15, 631-642. doi: 10.1007/s10826-006-9063-8
- Frizzo, G. B., Kahl, M. L. F., & Oliveira, E. A. de (2005). Aspectos psicológicos sobre a gravidez na adolescência [psychological aspects of adolescent pregnancy]. PSICO, 36, 13-20.
- de Oliveira, E. A. (2005). Hierarchy of media, but not of sources, truths, or academic disciplines: A rejoinder to Lawson and Wilcox. Journal of Psychology and Christianity, 24, 247-253.
Selected Recent Presentations
- de Oliveira, E. A. (2014, May/2012, June). Solução de problemas sob uma ótica co-construtivista [Problem solving from a co-constructivist viewpoint]. Invited seminar, Department of Psychology, Universidade Federal do Ceará, Fortaleza, CE, and Graduate Psychology Program, Instituto de Psicologia, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, RS, and Brazil.
- de Oliveira, E. A. (2010, May). Emocionalidade na relação pai/mãe-criança [Emotionality in the father/mother-child relationship]. Invited colloquium to psychology faculty and graduate students, Graduate Psychology Colloquium series, Instituto de Psicologia, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, RS, Brazil.
- de Oliveira, E. A. (2009, February). Students’ attitudes toward foreign-born and domestic instructors. Sabbatical research presentation, Malone University, OH, USA.
- de Oliveira, E. A. (2008, November). “My prof’s an alien!” Students’ attitudes toward foreign and domestic instructors. Invited speech, Harrington Colloquium Series, Psychology Department at Baldwin-Wallace College, OH, USA.
- de Oliveira, E. A. (2008, May). Estudo e serviço além das fronteiras nacionais [Study and service beyond national borders]. Invited speech, Graduate Psychology Colloquium series, Instituto de Psicologia, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, RS, Brazil.
- de Oliveira, E. A. (2008, May). Correlatos do andaime mãe-criança no desenvolvimento infantil
- [Correlates of mother-child scaffolding in child development]. In C. A. Piccinini (Chair), XII Simpósio de Pesquisa e Intercâmbio Científico, Natal, RN, Brazil (CD).
- de Oliveira, E. A. (2006, May). Usos do HOME no Brasil [HOME uses in Brazil]. In C. A. Piccinini (Chair), XI Simpósio de Pesquisa e Intercâmbio Científico, Florianópolis, SC, Brazil (CD).
- PSYC 121 – Introduction to Psychology
- PSYC 220 – Psychology of Human Development
- PSYC 312 – Cultural Psychology
- PSYC 420 – Research Practicum
- PSYC 442 – Child Psychology
- PSYC 443 – Adolescent Psychology
- PSYC 480 – Senior Seminar (co-teaching)
- GEN 460 - Peace in Stress