- Ph.D., Religious Studies, History of Christianity, Boston University
- M.A., History, University of Tulsa
- B.A., Historical Theology, Oral Roberts University
- 2019-Interim Provost, Malone University
- 2018-Associate Provost, External Partnerships and Programs, Malone University
- 2000-Present, Professor of History, Malone University
- 2007-2010, Adjunct Professor of Church History, Asia Pacific Theological Seminary
- 1991-2000, Assistant, Associate Professor of History, Valley Forge Christian College
- 1988-90, Teaching Assistant, Boston University
Recent Scholarly Work
- "The Road to Armageddon: Islam and Eschatology in Luther and the Lutheran Tradition to 1700" in Matthias Pohlig, ed., Christen, Juden und Muslimen, Gütersloher Verlagshaus, forthcoming.
- "Controversial Theology with Islam" in Joar Haga, ed., A Companion to Lutheran Orthodoxy, Brill, forthcoming.
- "Still Headed Toward Armageddon: A Response to Huntington's Clash of Civilizations," Christian Scholars Review 48:3 (Spring 2019).
- “The Turks” in Martin Luther in Context, Cambridge University Press, 2018.
- "Views of Islam in Early Modern Britain: Insight from the First Translation Qur’an in English" in The Islamic Quarterly, 62:1 (2018).
- The Turks and Islam in Reformation Germany, Routledge Press, 2017.
- “Luther and the Turks” in Martin Luther: Life Meaning, Heritage, De Gruyter/Utet, 2017.
- “Lutheranism and Islam” in The Dictionary of Luther and the Lutheran Tradition, Robert Kolb, ed., Concordia Press, 2017.
- “Speaking in Tongues Before Pentecostalism: Understandings of the Gift of Tongues in Early Modern Protestantism and Catholicism” in A Light to the Nations: Explorations in Ecumenism, Missions, and Pentecostalism, Stan Burgess and Paul Lewis, eds., Pickwick, 2017.
- “Martin Luther on Jews and Turks” chapter in The Oxford Handbook of Martin Luther’s Theology, Oxford University Press, 2014.
- “Theodor Bibliander’s Machumetis saracenorum principis eiusque successorum vitae, doctrina ac ipse alcoran (1543) as the Sixteenth Century ‘Encyclopedia’ of Islam” in Islam and Christian-Islamic Relations (Apr 2013).
- “Preface to Johann Brenz, Twenty-Two Sermons Delivered to the People During the Turkish Invasion of Germany” commentary and editing in Luther’s Works (American Edition) Vol. 60 (St. Louis: Concordia Press, 2011).
- “Preface to the Thirty-Eighth and Thirty-Ninth Chapters of Ezekiel on Gog” commentary and editing in Luther’s Works (American Edition) Vol. 59 (St. Louis: Concordia Press, 2012).
- “Bibliander, Theodor,” “Dositheus, Patriarch of Jerusalem,” Hermann of Wied,” Islam, Reformation Understanding of,” “Jeremiah II,” Megander, Casper,” Mohacs, Battle of,” Old Believers (Raskolniki),” Ottoman Empire,” Peillikan, Konrad,” “Propheseyings,” “Sacramentarianism,” “Ussher, James,” Zanchi, Girolamo” in The New Westminster Dictionary of Church History (Westminster John Knox Press, 2008).
- “Wars of Religion and Religion in War: Luther and the 16th Century Islamic Advance into Europe” in Seminary Ridge Review 9:2 (Spring 2007), pp. 38-59.
- “Reformers” in Encyclopedia of Christianity, Vol. 4 (Eerdmans/Brill, 2006).
- “The Past in the Present Tense: Medieval and Early Modern Christian-Islamic Relations in Contemporary Scholarship” article in Religious Studies Review 31:3&4 (Dec 2005).
- “Toward Armageddon? The Huntington Thesis Symposium” article in Fides et Historia 36:2 (Summer/Fall 2004), pp. 110-115.
- “Luther on the Turks and Islam” in Harvesting Martin Luther’s Reflections on Theology, Ethics, and the Church (Lutheran Quarterly Books, 2003).
- “Luthers Türkenschriften / Luther’s Writings on the Turks” (contributor) in LutherJahrbuch (2003).
- “Luther on the Turks and Islam” in Luther Digest 11 (2003).
- “From Crusades to Homeland Defense: Martin Luther and the Protestant Reformers on Islam” in Christian History (21:2, Spring 2002), pp. 31-34.
- “Fighting Like a Christian: The Ottoman Advance and the Development of Luther’s Doctrine of Just War” in Charitas et Reformatio: Essays in Honor of Carter Lindberg (Concordia Press, 2002).
- “Ulrich Zwingli: Reformation Theology and Christian Humanism” in The Reformation Theologians, Carter Lindberg, ed. (Blackwell Press, 2001).
- “Luther on the Turks and Islam” in Lutheran Quarterly (Spring 2000).
- “Luther and the Early Lutheran Tradition on Islam” in Luther Bulletin (Netherlands) 8 (1999).
- "Voices from the Past: Historical Attempts to Shape a Christian World View" in Elements of a Christian World View, Michael Palmer, ed. (Logion Press, 1998).
- "Vermischte Nachrichten," translated selection from Acta Historico-Ecclesiastica Nostri Temporis (1778) in Lutheran Quarterly 10:4 (Winter 1996): 479-480.
- World History I
- World History II
- History Seminar
- Ancient Greece and Rome
- Medieval Europe
- Early Modern and Modern Europe
- History of World Religions
- History Senior Seminar