- Ph.D., History, Case Western Reserve University (2003)
- M.A., History, The University of Akron (1995)
- M.A., Urban Studies, The University of Akron (1980)
- B.A., Social Studies, Malone College (1977)
- 2012-present, Professor of History, Malone University
- 2019-20 Interim Vice President for Advancement, Malone University
- 2004-12, Associate Professor of History, Malone University
- 1999-04, Assistant Professor of History, Malone College
- 1998-99, Instructional Manager, The University of Akron
- 1991-99, Lecturer, The University of Akron
- 1985-88, Director of Alumni Services, Malone College
- 1984-85, Director of Administration and Community Services, Stark County Metropolitan Housing Authority
- 1981-84, Director of Community Services, Stark County Metropolitan Housing Authority
Recent Scholarly Work
- Malone University: A Commemorative History, 1892-2017. Newberg Oregon: Barclay Press, forthcoming.
- “Malone University,” in What Makes the First-Year Seminar High Impact? An Exploration of Effective Educational Practices, with Marcia K. Everett and Jay R. Case (Columbia, South Carolina: National Resource Center for The First-Year Experience & Students in Transition, 2017), 71-74.
- “‘The Search for Order:’ Friends Bible Institute and Training School and the Emergence of Urban Bible Institutes,” Conference of Quaker Historians and Archivists, June 2016, Woodbrooke Quaker Study Centre/University of Birmingham, Birmingham, England.
- “Corporate Authority and Individual Conscience: An Outsider’s View of the Tension Between the Individual and the Community,” with Donald Tucker, Friends Association for Higher Education Conference, June 2014, Haverford College, Haverford, Pennsylvania.
- “Quakers and Missions,” Oxford Handbook of Quaker Studies, Pink Dandelion and Stephen Angell, editors. Oxford, England: Oxford University Press, 2013.
- Review of Step by Step, Rust in Peace: The Quiet Peacemakers of Wilmington College, 1940-1976 by Sharon Drees in Journal of Quaker History 101:2 (Fall 2012): 57-58.
- Review of God on Campus: Sacred Causes and Global Effects, by Trent Sheppard, online Conversation Café, Barclay Press, Newberg, Oregon, 2010.
- East Asia
- Friends/Quaker History
- Ohio History and Government
- U.S. Since 1945
- Urban and Local History
- World History
- Courtship and Marriage in America
- Japanese Pop Culture
- Modern China
- Southeast Asia and the Vietnam War
- Women in Revolutionary China