- B.S., Biochemistry, with honors from University of Iowa
- Ph.D., Biochemistry, Microbiology, and Molecular Biology, The Pennsylvania State University
- 2005-2011: Postdoctoral Fellow- Washington University in St. Louis; Heterochromatin formation in Drosophila melanogaster; Mentor: Sarah Elgin
- 2010-2011: Adjunct Faculty- Science & Mathematics Department, Maryville University, Courses taught: General Chemistry I Laboratory & Immunology
- 1997-1999: Research Technician- University of Iowa; Molecular and genetic regulation of transvection at the yellow gene in Drosophila melanogaster; Mentor: Pamela Geyer
- Basic Physiological Chemistry
- Biochemistry I
- Biochemistry II/Molecular Biology
- General Chemistry I
- Gen100: The College Experience
- Honors Sophomore Seminar: The Academy and You
Recent Scholarly Work
- Huisinga KL, Riddle NC, Leung W, Shimonovich S, McDaniel S, Figueroa-Clarevega A, Elgin SC. Targeting of P-Element Reporters to Heterochromatic Domains by Transposable Element 1360 in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 2016 Feb; 202:565-82
- Brower-Toland B, Riddle NC, Jiang H, Huisinga KL, Elgin SCR. Multiple SET methyltransferases are required to maintain normal heterochromatin domains in the genome of Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 2009 Apr; 181:1303-19
- Huisinga KL, Elgin SCR. Small RNA directed heterochromatin formation in the context of development: what flies might learn from fission yeast. BBA Gene Regulatory Mechanisms, 2009 Jan; 1789:3-16.
- Huisinga KL, Pugh BF. A TATA binding protein regulatory network that governs transcription complex assembly. Genome Biol. 2007 Apr 2; 8(4):R46
- Huisinga KL, Brower-Toland B, Elgin SCR. The Contradictory Definitions of Heterochromatin: Transcription and Silencing. Chromosoma. 2006 April; 115:110-22.
- Huisinga KL, Pugh BF. A genome-wide housekeeping role for TFIID and a highly regulated stress-related role for SAGA in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Molecular Cell. 2004 Feb 27; 13:573-85.
I am married to Mike Grau. We live in Akron with our two children, Sam and Ellie and our dog and cats. In my spare time, I enjoy running, hiking, gardening, baking cakes and playing with my kids.