Academic Mentor Job Application
Academic Mentors assist at-risk students in developing the skills necessary to be successful students and lifelong learners. It requires 5-7 hours/week with students with a set stipend per semester.
GOALS INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Enhancing time management and organizational skills
- Reinforcing best practices in studying
- Teaching note-taking and test taking skills
- Providing strategies for learning based on student's individual learning style
Mentor sessions will take place at least once per week (more if needed) and allow for the CSS staff to monitor progress and assist each student more efficiently.
The mentor provides academic guidance to the student. Mentors typically develop strong relationships with their mentees and are always a great resource for students.
MENTORS RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Copying and reviewing all syllabi with their assigned students
- Tracking individual assignments for each class to promote student success
- Assigning goals to student during each session and following up on those goals
- Assist with time management as it pertains to studying for exams, writing papers, and all other class assignments
- Ensure that students with disabilities are utilizing accommodations
- Assist student in best practices for approaching and communicating with university faculty
- Connect students with campus resources