Matching a Cover Letter to a Job Description
It is best to tailor your letter to the specific needs of the position and company where you are applying. Here is an example of a job description and the cover letter for which it coincides.
The Cleveland Orchestra Marketing Internship
The full time Marketing Intern will assist in organizing communications about The Cleveland Orchestra and the summer concerts held at Blossom Music Center. Blossom Festival is the annual series of summer concerts presented by The Cleveland Orchestra at Blossom Music Center and featuring the Orchestra, the Blossom Festival Band, the Blossom Festival Chorus and other special guest artists.
Marketing Intern Duties:
- Help organize and maintain communication between The Cleveland Orchestra and Blossom Music Center
- Oversee distribution of Cleveland Orchestra materials as well as participate in the analysis of campaigns and surveys
- Provide concert support as well as administrative support to The Cleveland Orchestra Marketing Department
- Maintain marketing materials and promotions schedule
- Update and maintain web page activity for Blossom Festival
- Compile and participate in the analysis of single ticket campaigns, subscription campaigns, and patron surveys
- Report daily and weekly sales activity
- Assist in budget reporting
- Manage distribution of Blossom Festival materials
- Provide concert assistance for Blossom Festival
- Provide administrative support to The Cleveland Orchestra Marketing Department including group sales
- Attend meetings with The Cleveland Orchestra Marketing Department
- Other duties as assigned
- Project management skills
- Interest/experience in marketing and statistical analysis a plus
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Must be available to work evenings and weekends during concerts
Sample Cover Letter
First M. Last
Malone University 2600 Cleveland Avenue NW Canton, OH 44709
E-mail address 330.933.6120
January 11, 2011
Jason Dooley, Internship Supervisor
The Cleveland Orchestra
11001 Euclid Avenue
Cleveland, OH 44106
Dear Mr. Dooley:
I am writing to express my interest in The Cleveland Orchestra Marketing Internship position available this summer for Blossom Festival. I am currently a junior at Malone University. I am confident that my interest and experience in music marketing along with my qualifications are a good fit for your organization's needs.
As my resume indicates, I currently serve as Marketing and Public Relations Manager for the Malone University Chorale, which is known throughout the United States and Europe for its high level of musical excellence. Since serving in this capacity, performance tickets and CD sales have increased 12% over last year. I believe my experience in marketing to a fine arts audience will be an asset to The Cleveland Orchestra.
Over the past two years, I have served as the Marketing Co-chair on Students in Free Enterprise (SIFE) committees for marketing campus networking events along with Malone's Career Development Adviser to engage students with young professionals from companies and organizations who live and work in Stark County. I met with subcommittees to determine promotional campaign scheduling and distribution of marketing materials, designed a Facebook invitational web page, and compiled data on student surveys to report activity.
I have developed strong analytical and statistics skills through my coursework at Malone University. Specifically, I have taken Statistics for Business and Advanced Public Relations Writing. These courses have served to hone my proficiency in statistical data collection and analysis techniques, as well as developed my oral and written communication skills.
I look forward to discussing my qualifications for this internship with you. I will contact your office within a week to determine the status of my application. Thank you for your time and consideration.
First M. Last
Enclosure: Resume, Reference Page