How can I be successful?
Here are a few tips on how to make the most of your online experience:
- Be self-motivated and self-disciplined. With the freedom and flexibility of the online environment comes responsibility. The online process takes a real commitment and discipline to keep up with the course material.
- Be able to commit the same amount of time to an online course as you would a traditional course. Online courses are not easier than traditional courses.
- Be willing to share your experiences with others. Many of the online activities you will engage in will require you to integrate course material and your life experiences.
- Be willing to engage in meaningful and quality discussion. Discussion is an essential component of the online learning environment. The testing and challenging of ideas is encouraged; you will not always be right, just be prepared to accept a challenge.
- Be prepared to communicate through writing. Virtually all of the communication that you will engage in will require you to express yourself in writing.
- The online learning process is accelerated and requires commitment on the student's part. Staying up with the class and completing all work on time is vital. Once a student gets behind, it is almost impossible to catch up. Essentially, the student needs to want to be there, and needs to want the experience.