The Malone Police Department provides campus-wide observation and protection through campus safety officers and surveillance on a 24-hour basis, responding to activities that could threaten the safety of students, faculty, staff, and guests.
Campus Shield is Malone’s campus safety alert system; it is a safety app made available to Malone students and staff. The app can be downloaded through Apple’s “App Store” and Google’s “Play” store for Android phones. The App is FREE. More information and a step-by-step guide on creating your account will be released during Orientation by our Safety Office. Even if you do not own a smartphone, this system will send texts regarding emergency alerts, weather-related closings, etc. Students are strongly encouraged to create an account.
MALONE POLICE DEPARTMENT
The Malone Police Department consists of the Director of Campus Safety, Assistant Director of Safety, and contracted professional safety officers. Campus safety officers are not armed. They conduct foot and vehicular patrols of the campus and residence halls 365 days a year. Safety officers aid in the enforcement of Malone rules and regulations. The campus has closed circuit television cameras that operate 24-hours a day, seven days a week.
SAFETY DEPARTMENT MISSION
The Malone University Department of Campus Safety is dedicated to creating a safe and secure place to learn, work, and live, using a variety of services to meet the needs of the campus community.
Safety Officers perform, but are not limited to, the following duties:
- Service calls for students, faculty and staff (door access, vehicle trouble, suspicious behavior, etc.)
- Assistance during fire and medical emergencies
- Patrol by both vehicle and on foot
- Building and residence hall checks
- Reporting of maintenance concerns to the Physical Plant
- Safety escort service for students, faculty and staff
- Parking enforcement
- Assist with minor car problems
- Contact emergency services when needed (local police, fire, University officials)
- Oversee emergency alert system process (Campus Shield)
The Safety Department maintains a close working relationship with local, county, state and federal law enforcement agencies as well as the Canton Fire Department. Major crimes are reported and handled by the Canton Police department. Lesser crimes are handled by the Safety Department and processed through the University student conduct process.
SAFETY & SECURITY SUGGESTIONS
If you see something, say something! Contact the Security Department (330-471-8111) and inform them immediately.
DESIGNATED CAMPUS SECURITY AUTHORITIES
Based on the U.S. Department of Education definition of campus security authorities, the following are designated:
- Safety Department staff
- Director of Human Resources
- Student Development staff
- Residence Life staff
- Title IX Coordinators and Investigators
- Health Center staff
- Physical Plant staff
- Athletic Director and coaches
- Wellness Center employees
- Admissions Reception area employees
- Events staff
- Canton Police Department contracted by Malone for services
- Part-time faculty at all locations