The Malone Police Department provides campus-wide observation and protection through campus safety officers and surveillance on a 24-hour basis, responding to activities that could threaten the safety of students, faculty, staff, and guests.
911 Shield is Malone’s campus safety alert system; it is a safety app made available to Malone students and staff. The app can be downloaded through Apple’s “App Store” and Google’s “Play” store for Android phones. The App is FREE. More information and a step-by-step guide on creating your account will be released during Orientation by our Safety Office. Even if you do not own a smartphone, this system will send texts regarding emergency alerts, weather-related closings, etc. Students are strongly encouraged to create an account.
- Escort services
- Assist with minor car problems
- Contact emergency services when needed (local police, fire, University officials)
- Oversee emergency alert system process (911 Shield)
Malone Police Department
The Malone Police Department consists of the Director of Campus Safety and contracted professional safety officers. Campus safety officers are not armed. They conduct foot and vehicular patrols of the campus and residence halls 365 days a year. Safety officers aid in the enforcement of Malone rules and regulations. The campus has closed circuit television cameras that operate 24-hours a day, seven days a week.
Student Parking Regulations
Malone’s parking policy requires all undergraduate students who will park or operate a vehicle on campus to register their vehicles online. Students must register in order to receive a display card or parking permit. There is no fee for registering vehicles. For a detailed Parking Regulations document, click here.
Parking Dispute Form
To complete and submit the parking dispute form, click here.
Safety Department Mission
The Malone University Department of Campus Safety is dedicated to creating a safe and secure place to learn, work, and live, using a variety of services to meet the needs of the campus community.
Security Officers perform, but are not limited to, the following duties:
- Service calls for students, faculty and staff (door access, vehicle trouble, suspicious behavior, etc.)
- Assistance during fire and medical emergencies
- Patrol by both vehicle and on foot
- Building and residence hall checks
- Reporting of maintenance concerns to the Physical Plant
- Safety escort service for students, faculty and staff
- Parking enforcement
The Security Department maintains a close working relationship with local, county, state and federal law enforcement agencies as well as the Canton Fire Department,. Major crimes are reported and handled by the Canton Police department. Lesser crimes are handled by the Security Department and processed through the University student conduct process.
Safety & Security Suggestions
If you see something, say something! Contact the Security Department (330-471-8111) and inform them immediately. Examples include smelling or seeing smoke, or noticing a door that has been propped open for an extended period of time, Items that are out of place and left unattended, or people acting suspiciously.
If you are the victim of a theft or burglary
Call the Security Department (330-471-8111) as soon as possible. Give the security officer a detailed report of the incident, including where the theft took place and what was taken. In the event of a burglary (person entering your dorm room or office without authorization), notify your resident director and the security officer to make arrangements to have room locks changed and offices secured.
Designated Campus Security Authorities
Based on the U.S. Department of Education definition of campus security authorities, the following are designated:
- Security Department staff
- Associate Vice President of Facilities and Human Resources
- Student Development staff
- Residence Life staff
- Title IX Coordinators and Investigators
- Health Center staff
- Physical Plant staff
- Athletic Director and coaches
- Wellness Center employees
- Admissions Reception area employees
- Events staff
- Canton Police Department contracted by Malone for services
- Part-time faculty at all locations