Student musicians, regardless of major, are eligible to receive up to $3,000 in music scholarship funds in addition to other institutional aid.
MUSIC SCHOLARSHIP OPPORTUNITIES
Incoming students who would like to participate in band or choir at Malone are eligible for music scholarships, regardless of their major. Auditions are required for scholarship consideration.
All students planning to major in music are required to schedule an audition.
The Department of Music offers auditions on the dates listed below. However, if these dates do not suit your schedule, you may request a different date on the scheduling form or submit a video audition.
Follow the links below "Preparing for your audition" to learn more about audition expectations.
2023-2024 AUDITION DATES
- October 9 - Discover Day
- November 10 - Discover Day
- November 17 - Malone Music Day
- January 20 - Scholars’ Day
- January 31 - Homeschool and Christian School day
- February 19 - Discover Day
- April 19 - Accepted Students Day
VIDEO AUDITION INSTRUCTIONS
- Check out the audition requirements for your instrument.
- Video yourself performing the repertoire outlined at the above link. If you play an instrument that requires scales/arpeggios, please select two scales and arpeggios of your choice to record. Videos should be unedited and show you and your instrument. Please do not worry about playing or singing without accompaniment if an accompanist in not available.
- Upload your video to a hosting service (e.g. YouTube, Vimeo, etc.) and copy the link to your video.
- Complete the Music Audition Registration Form. Be sure to include the link to your video, or you may choose to upload your video as part of the form.
SCHOLARSHIPS ARE RENEWABLE ANNUALLY
Scholarships will be renewed annually, provided the student continues participation in a major ensemble (Chorale or Band), takes applied lessons, remains a full-time student in good standing at Malone University, and shows progress on the auditioned instrument.
Half of each award will be credited to the student's account each semester.
AUDITIONS FOR PROSPECTIVE MUSIC MAJORS
All prospective music majors are required to audition for the music faculty according to the guidelines below, regardless of the desire or need for a music scholarship.
All Music Education or Music majors are required to take the Theory Placement Exam and the Keyboard Placement Exam before beginning classes. These exams can be scheduled the same day as your audition or scheduled at a later time. The theory placement exam can be emailed to students to complete and return.
If you have auditioned for scholarship consideration, a second audition will not be necessary for the music major. An additional audition may be necessary for placement, ensemble participation or instrument change.