Position: Adjunct Professor in the Department of English
Starting Date: Open
About the position
Adjunct faculty in the Department of English serve as classroom instructors for foundation composition courses that are required of every Malone undergraduate. Ordinarily, adjunct faculty will specialize in one of the following semester-long courses:
Elements of English (basic writing)
Course Description: Emphasizes writing as a recursive process and the interconnected nature of reading and writing. Offers practice with organizing and developing ideas, and provides opportunities to refine drafting, revising, and editing skills through in-class workshops and one-on-one tutoring sessions in the campus writing center.
Course Description: Emphasizes writing as a recursive process and offers practice in reading and responding to expository essays. Students explore language as a means of discovering and communicating truth.
- Master's degree required
- Strong commitment to general teaching excellence and academic rigor
- Subject-specific teaching experience desired
- Commitment to the Christian faith and the University's mission, foundational principles, and educational goals
- Commitment to faith and learning in the academic discipline.
About the Department
The Department of English offers undergraduate programs in English, English Education, and Creative Writing, plus three minors including Editing and Publishing. The department also serves the entire undergraduate population through its courses in the general education curriculum. These courses provide an important part of the foundation for the integration of faith and learning that is so important at Malone University.
How to Apply
In an effort to find and employ the best qualified faculty, the department maintains an open and rolling application process designed to identify a group of the most highly qualified individuals who may be called upon to teach as the need arises.
Application materials should include
- Adjunct Faculty Employment Application
- Letter of Interest and curriculum vitae
- Statement of Christian Belief and Practice in response to the following prompt:
Malone University takes seriously the integration of the orthodox Christian faith and all academic disciplines and requires that faculty (full-time and adjunct) profess faith in Jesus Christ. Therefore, we ask that you provide a statement (250-500 words) in which you:
- Discuss your faith in relationship to the University’s Doctrinal Statement and Community Agreement.
- Describe your engagement with a local congregation or faith community.
- Names and contact information of three references (two professional, one pastor or spiritual mentor)
- Transcripts will be requested if adjunct faculty employment is granted
Malone University has an established policy of equal academic and employment opportunity. This policy is applied to all qualified students, employees and applicants for admission or employment, in all university programs and activities, without unlawful discrimination based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, disability, or military or veteran status. Malone University is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from women and minorities.